layering Opti Guard

Chris, I still have one syringe left of the original formula of OG. I remember when it first came out, it was advised that it could be topped. What I don't remember was the time frame. I'm thinking it was from 5 to 15 minutes after the first coat application. Can you clarify what the time is? Also, same question for the new version, or did just OC change and not OG?

• 1 month later...

Opti Coat 2.0 has always been layerable. We didn't tweak it to do so...we just figured out that it could. When we modified Opti Coat to take longer to harden, that also allowed layering at any point prior to full hardening.

The original Opti Coat/Opti Guard will take a second coat withing 30 min or so...but sometimes that gets a little tricky because it also means you have to apply the second coat while the fist is a little grabby. So, 15 minutes or so would be good and use an applicator like the one we ship with instead of MF or something with grain.

The current Opti Guard has actually been tweaked to take longer to harden, but still has a higher concentration of resin. It can be layered like 2.0 now. You may remember the first labels said "do not smell" "strong ammonia odor." One of the ingredients we tweaked removed that odor and allowed the longer hardening time.

Will layering within 30mins produce a thicker film build? Or will the solvents re-liquify the base layer like trying to "layer" a wax?

Chris do you have anything to add in answer to my question?

Layering after 30 minutes would likely interfere with the first layer drying. I would wait 24 hours for a true second layer or apply a second coat after immediately after the first if you just want better coverage or a thicker coat.

Archived