Removing Brake Dust

Fellow Forum Members,

I just discovered and purchased (hasn't arrived yet) No Rinse Wash & Shine to use for car washing at my apartment. I'm wondering though how and if the product is going to work on my wheels, especially with regard to cleaning built up brake dust. I know that mobile detailers are out there using NRW&S for painted surfaces, but what about the wheels? Anyone have suggestions on this? I have no access to a hose bib at my apartment, however, there is a coin car wash not far from me. Thanks.

Robert

Fellow Forum Members,

I just discovered and purchased (hasn't arrived yet) No Rinse Wash & Shine to use for car washing at my apartment. I'm wondering though how and if the product is going to work on my wheels, especially with regard to cleaning built up brake dust. I know that mobile detailers are out there using NRW&S for painted surfaces, but what about the wheels? Anyone have suggestions on this? I have no access to a hose bib at my apartment, however, there is a coin car wash not far from me. Thanks.

Robert

Hello and welcome Robert,

The best advice I can give you is to go to the coin-op for the first time and really clean the wheels up really good and from then on if you ONR at least once a week you should be just fine. A nice soft wheel brush is great to have also. So what many of us do is fill an extra bucket up for wheels and wheel wells, about a gallon and do the wheels last with your brush and a microfiber towel. I buy my grunge mf's at COSTCO.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

I second the coin op. My Porsche has the same issue. I go to the coin op and blast them with the spray nozzle, then scrub them with a terry towel, then rinse them with a spray nozzle. Since then I maintain them with ONR and an MF mit, but only after I've finished the rest of the paint surfaces.

Bob,

I feel your pain. I work on lots of BMW's.

With the soon to be released Opti-Seal after you give your wheels a good cleaning coat them with the new sealant. They should be much easier to clean then normal after this.

Anthony said to use a second bucket for the wheels. If you don't want to lug around the extra equipment just use the no rinse solution on the wheels last. Just be sure to remove your wash mits.

a little APC on the wheels and fender wells will help with the tough stuff.

I would like to add that you will be surprised at what the ONR will do to clean your wheels. will it remove the baked on stuff , no but once you get it removed the sealant suggestion was a great idea for you to try. from there the dust will be easy to remove with ONR and an old mitt or MF towel, if you do it weekly. I have some wheels that are full of spokes on my suv and once they are sealed you will not hate cleaning the wheels so much :groupwave[1]:

Archived