How can I tell if there is some other coating on the car?

11audi

I thought maybe someone else would jump in on this and help me out. The QD in the Smooth Surface Clay kit is full of silicone-ey stuff. I'm not sure the Optimum Car Wash will completely remove that, as that silicone-ey stuff is also what is in "car wax" and maintenance washes are designed to be friendly to "wax".

It's possible that residue might survive your wash and might overwhelm your IPA wipe depending on how many towels you used. If you have ONR you might want to mix that up in a clay lube concentration. If not, perhaps doubling or tripling the Optimum Car Wash concentration when you wash, rinse very thoroughly, then do your IPA wipe, changing towels frequently.

These days I use Optimum polishes as Opti-Coat prep.

What is opti coat prep?

What is opti coat prep?

No, I meant when I prep for Opti-Coat (2.0) I make it a point to use Optimum polishes because according to info here the residues from either the crème polishes or the liquids (hyper) won't interfere with Opti-Coat bonding. Of course, that answer seems to depend on what day of the week it is. IIRC, first you could just do a water wipe if you had used any Optimum polish, then it was if you used Hyper Polish you could do a dry wipe and right to Opti-Coat, and recently it was posted the dry wipe applied to both the crème/lotion or hyper polishes.

Meguiars 101 foam cut.... I know it was a cutting pad.

I use the opti car wash and wiped down with a micro fiber towl with alcohol.

That´s the problem, Opti Car Wash and alkohol (i think that you use IPA?) can't remove all the oils what 101 leaves. When you polish you car you should wash it with strong APC or even a solvant (i use solvants after polishin) and then wipe with alcohol couple times. after wipe you should wait about 15-30 minutes that alcohol ooze away and then you can coat a car.

Archived