Opti-Bond tire gel

Ron Harris

So the current Opti Tire Shine is NOT the Tire Gel? Which applies best? I have trouble with all my tires, everyone one seems to absorb product even after a thorough cleaning.

So the current Opti Tire Shine is NOT the Tire Gel? Which applies best? I have trouble with all my tires, everyone one seems to absorb product even after a thorough cleaning.

Yeah the tire shine is the 1st formula and the opti bond is the newest. I own the tire shine and use it all the time, I love it, but I do agree it seems that some tires just don't want to shine much from it. While others, like my Bridgestones, get that nice gleam from it.

Both apply the same. You have a little more gloss from the Opti-Bond. If you use the same applicator

it gets a build up of product and will really start to give a wet look.

Spray is really what it is designed for.

• 3 weeks later...

Ron,

This gun looks like it is run with a compressor. It looks like you use a Husky compressor unit from the pics of your well stocked Van. Does this gun run off that compressor?

I am considering purchasing one of the Husky compressors. Someone I know has one and I use it often. I like it a lot.

Ron,

This gun looks like it is run with a compressor. It looks like you use a Husky compressor unit from the pics of your well stocked Van. Does this gun run off that compressor?

I am considering purchasing one of the Husky compressors. Someone I know has one and I use it often. I like it a lot.

Yes the gun is run off the Huskey. It dosn't have quite enough volume to do a continous spray. It dose work, however I would buy a little larger compressor if I had the room. I have the pressure runing through the gun at 45psi.

How does it work on soft rubber trim? I suspect that because it's a very viscous product, it may work on my problem trim, where protectant plus is not working as well as I'd like.

Been playing around with the opti-bond tire gel, and first reports are that it may be the product I'm looking for. It works very much like my old favorite(meguiar's #38) but doesn't spread as easily. First water tests(directly after application) show that it holds up very well to hard black trim(both smooth and porous), but not so well on the rubber trim(compared to #38, my old standby). So next test will be to see how it holds up after a couple of hours curing, and how it olds up during long term application. My only other alternative is to use a solvent based dressing(like the one I get from AI), but those are messy and greasy and cleanup is a pain.

Also, I'll report back after I've done some durability testing, but the new gel looks GREAT on tires when wiped on with a sponge.

• 1 year later...
Yesterday I did a little comparison between the OB2 vs the Carlack PlastiCare (one of my faves). Well, the OB2 is simply an insane product! I applied it with a foam applicator and the tires are simply brand new. While the CLPC is still a terrific product, the OB2 beat it comfortably by giving the tires a fantastically even finish. The Carlack is a tad darker, but patchier, the OB2 is just NEW. Great product.

Hi Bence

Carlack 68 plastic care is not what I would call a protectant, it's a soapy cleaner for tyres, rubber, plastics, vinyl and leather

It is a preparation product for a tire gel like OB2

What puts me off of Opti Bond is that it loses it's shine in a couple days and only lasts two weeks

Not bad but not quite good enough for me,

4 weeks with temperature reactive agents would be a better way to go, like wolfgang black diamond old formula. the shine kept coming back, withstood 1000 km drives through muddy roads and lasted for six weeks.

As the tires cool from a drive, the shine comes back'

Also something to stop them ever going back to brown and attracting road grime

Sounds extreme but thats me, why settle for todays technology when so much more potential is within us all, especially Dr G, your just scratching the surface.

My detailing market is top end with work costing up to 1250 bucks

I don't care if a product costs $200 a litre, if it works greatly then I'll use it.

Keep pushing the boundaries people, perhaps move to the acrylic side as far as tyre shine.

Archived