Black Velvet Carnauba Wax? Thoughts?

ehall

Hi folks,

Since my car is black I was wondering is anyone had heard of, or had experience with Black Velvet Carnauba Wax.

http://www.topoftheline.com/black-wax-carnauba.html

It is on my list of products to consider, so I thought this would be a good place to discuss it.

It says that it is especially designed for black, or dark paint? Is that possible or a snake oil story? It also says that it goes on and buffs of clear, but somehow covers chips, etc. in black paint. How can that be?

Any other thoughts? Thanks

E

Hi folks,

Since my car is black I was wondering is anyone had heard of, or had experience with Black Velvet Carnauba Wax.

http://www.topoftheline.com/black-wax-carnauba.html

It is on my list of products to consider, so I thought this would be a good place to discuss it.

It says that it is especially designed for black, or dark paint? Is that possible or a snake oil story? It also says that it goes on and buffs of clear, but somehow covers chips, etc. in black paint. How can that be?

Any other thoughts? Thanks

E

I tested this wax for Irene before she carried it. It's a very nice beautification wax meaning it enhances yourfinish well giving you that wet carnauba look but it is not a long lasting wax. On a daily driver you may get a month to 6 weeks.

It will cover or hide imperfections but only temporarily and it does this by way of a black dye and this is why it should not be used on single stage paints.

You would be better off with either Trade Secret or Pizzaz paste waxes. Both of those are excellant waxes, Trade Secret being my first choice in a paste over all others, Pizzaz and Victoria's paste waxes coming in second with a tie.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

I tested this wax for Irene before she carried it. It's a very nice beautification wax meaning it enhances yourfinish well giving you that wet carnauba look but it is not a long lasting wax. On a daily driver you may get a month to 6 weeks.

It will cover or hide imperfections but only temporarily and it does this by way of a black dye and this is why it should not be used on single stage paints.

You would be better off with either Trade Secret or Pizzaz paste waxes. Both of those are excellant waxes, Trade Secret being my first choice in a paste over all others, Pizzaz and Victoria's paste waxes coming in second with a tie.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

I think I know the answer to this, but to use a carnauba, it should be applied after the poly-seal and before the spray wax?

Yes, apply a carnauba paste wax after the PoliSeal as Poliseal has cleaners in it.

Also you'll want to apply a carnauba paste wax AFTER the Optimum spray wax to get its full benefits as OSW contains a polymer. You'll want the polymer to bond and cross link on the paint prior to a carnauba application.

OSW is polymer, carnauba and UV absorbers. The polymer lays down first during the application, then the carnauba and then the UV absorbers. Wait a few hours and then lay down a carnuaba paste wax on top of that.

Make sure your last step is a NON-cleaner carnauba wax.

Anthony

Yes, apply a carnauba paste wax after the PoliSeal as Poliseal has cleaners in it.

Also you'll want to apply a carnauba paste wax AFTER the Optimum spray wax to get its full benefits as OSW contains a polymer. You'll want the polymer to bond and cross link on the paint prior to a carnauba application.

OSW is polymer, carnauba and UV absorbers. The polymer lays down first during the application, then the carnauba and then the UV absorbers. Wait a few hours and then lay down a carnuaba paste wax on top of that.

Make sure your last step is a NON-cleaner carnauba wax.

Anthony

How do you reccomend applying Trade Secret? Machine or by hand? If by hand, with MF or cotten? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you reccomend applying Trade Secret? Machine or by hand? If by hand, with MF or cotten? Thanks.

I typically apply paste carnaubas by hand using a foam hand applicator.

I agree with Anthony that OCW is better as a base for carnaubas than a topper.

• 1 month later...
I typically apply paste carnaubas by hand using a foam hand applicator.

I agree with Anthony that OCW is better as a base for carnaubas than a topper.

This is great info.....as I have trade secret in the mail right now...should be here tomorrow!! So my plan is (really hard single stage 1988 guards red paint)

wash

claybar (adams, pretty aggresive)

compound (LC yellows, opti compound, PC set to 6) where needed

polish (LC white, opti polish, PC set to 4) whole car

poli seal (LC black or white?, PC set to 3) whole car

wait a little while (couple hours)

Heres where the ??? comes in

OCW then wait and start layering trade secret.....or just trade secret in layers since OCW is not designed for single stage paint?

I dunno?

This is great info.....as I have trade secret in the mail right now...should be here tomorrow!! So my plan is (really hard single stage 1988 guards red paint)

wash

claybar (adams, pretty aggresive)

compound (LC yellows, opti compound, PC set to 6) where needed

polish (LC white, opti polish, PC set to 4) whole car

poli seal (LC black or white?, PC set to 3) whole car

wait a little while (couple hours)

Heres where the ??? comes in

OCW then wait and start layering trade secret.....or just trade secret in layers since OCW is not designed for single stage paint?

I dunno?

First before you go to the LC yellow and Compound try the LC white and Polish. You may need to go over it a few times before you see any results...if that doesn't work well then use the LC white and Compund before moving up to the yellow pad.

I would prefer to use the orange pad before the yellow, but if these are the only pads you have then go the way I suggested.

As for the OCW, it tends to streak on single stage paints so go with the PoliSeal when the paint is all polished and then lay down some Trade Secret......or wait for your OptiSeal :thumbsupup[1]:

I wonder how PoliSeal + OptiSeal + Trade Secret would look??? I'm a one topper kinda guy but it's fun to experiment once and awhile.

Anthony

First before you go to the LC yellow and Compound try the LC white and Polish. You may need to go over it a few times before you see any results...if that doesn't work well then use the LC white and Compund before moving up to the yellow pad.

I would prefer to use the orange pad before the yellow, but if these are the only pads you have then go the way I suggested.

As for the OCW, it tends to streak on single stage paints so go with the PoliSeal when the paint is all polished and then lay down some Trade Secret......or wait for your OptiSeal :thumbsupup[1]:

I wonder how PoliSeal + OptiSeal + Trade Secret would look??? I'm a one topper kinda guy but it's fun to experiment once and awhile.

Anthony

Anthony

I do have a griots orange pad.....is that "inbetween" the LC yellow and LC white?

I just wonder if its worth it to use the trade secret on top of OS......I guess it couldn't hurt...since it will wear off way before the OS anyway

The orange pad is a cutting pad and can perform a lot of correction work but it finishes out nicer than the yellow.

Yes you can add TS on top of OS.....lay down one or more layers of OS then smear some TS on top of that after a few hours.

Anthony

The orange pad is a cutting pad and can perform a lot of correction work but it finishes out nicer than the yellow.

Yes you can add TS on top of OS.....lay down one or more layers of OS then smear some TS on top of that after a few hours.

Anthony

Okay so I'll use the griots orange as an inbetween on the yellow-white LC CCS pads......I should have bought more white polishing LC pads...I only have 2 white- 2 yellow- 2 black...& 1 griots orange....

I'll wait for my Opti-seal...& add it after poli seal....wait a couple hours...add another...they wait a day and do the TS for a couple coats......that should be really something!!! Of course is the OS is totally awesome...then I might not bother with the TS..but I do have a concours in a month!

• 4 months later...

Anthony

so send me some opti-seal and that tire stuff you owe me, and I'll tell ya how it comes out! :spoton[1]:

Archived