Optimum Compound

Chuck

Hi all! Great forum by the way. I'm new to machine polishing and it's unfortunately, addicting. I have been using OC with a 5" Orange CCS pad with a UDM, and am I crazy or is it LSP ready after that? There doesn't appear to be any marring, hazing, swirls, nothing. Is it absolutely necessary to hit it with the polish afterward? Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! Yep, this is the way Optimum polishes work.

On a high speed DA even OHC finishes down LSP-ready. Using a stiffer pad and a rotary it usually needs a followup but that's rather because of the pad structure.

No it's not necessary to do a finishing step. If the clarity is there and defect removal is completed you can go straight to LSP.

Welcome to the forum! Yep, this is the way Optimum polishes work.

On a high speed DA even OHC finishes down LSP-ready. Using a stiffer pad and a rotary it usually needs a followup but that's rather because of the pad structure.

No it's not necessary to do a finishing step. If the clarity is there and defect removal is completed you can go straight to LSP.

Thanks Bence.

Actually pulling it out in the sun showed a little hazing. Didn't notice it with the Brinkmann. I'm sort of doing my car little by little, can't dedicate a full day to it yet. I'll post some pics at some point. This is fun!

Chuck, this is just a pad-dependent hazing. If you try it with a less aggressive light cutting or polishing pad, you'll se its true potential.

Yes, more than fun!

BTW, orange pads can finish down to LSP-ready levels, but you have to lighten your pressure for the final, "levitating" passes.

One more: how much polish did you use? Because slight overapplication can end up in marring. Just work it in long enough, use very little (2-4 pea sized drops) and you'll be OK.

Bence is correct and to add to his advice I would also say that paint color plays a role also.

So for a dark color you may need to go down to the Polish to finish out (or PoliSeal) but for lighter colors even the Hyper can be used as an lsp ready product.....just did it this week on a silver Porsche Boxster :thumbsupup[1]:

Anthony

Bence is correct and to add to his advice I would also say that paint color plays a role also.

So for a dark color you may need to go down to the Polish to finish out (or PoliSeal) but for lighter colors even the Hyper can be used as an lsp ready product.....just did it this week on a silver Porsche Boxster :thumbsupup[1]:

Anthony

Yeah it's a dark green. I'll hit it again next week, thanks for the tips fellas!

Archived