New to detailing

bjgross

Dr G

I am new to the world of detailing, having been a wash and wax type of guy for years. I just purchased my first toy car and am interested in learning the best way to protect the exterior finish. Definition - toy car is a car you only drive on weekends and pamper like a spoiled child (or wife). The Optimum products sound very good, and I especially like the way you can put down additional layers for added depth and the cross-linking polymers will cause the layers to bond together. However, I am a little nervous about something that is more permanent than wax, and have a few questions.

1) What is the recommended (most important) step to prepare the surface before the first application of OptiSeal, keeping in mind this is a new car and the clearcoat is in perfect condition? So far all I have done is wax it with a quality carnauba wax.

2) How long will the OptiSeal last and if I put down additional layers isn't there a possibility that I can get too many layers down?

3) Is there any possibility that with either improper preparation or too many coats, that it may start to peel?

4) How do you remove the product without damaging the finish, if you want to start fresh?

5) Most of the members on this forum seem to be professional detailers, who put down the OptiSeal with power buffers. One member describes polishing until the product "melts into the paint", which seems to imply a power buffer. Can a weekend detailer apply the OptiSeal products by hand or is a power buffer required?

6) Is there a recommended regimen of different Optimum treatments and products (layers) that you would recommend for a new car, along with a schedule on how often to repeat?

And finally

7) I have read on other forums that some of the acrylic coatings can look "sterile", especially on dark colors. Does the OptiSeal present the same issue on dark colors? I have also read that some people will add a quality carnauba wax on top of the sealant, to give it a wetter, deeper shine. Is that a recommended step for the OptiSeal product?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong topic section and thanks for all the great information!

BJ

Dr G

I am new to the world of detailing, having been a wash and wax type of guy for years. I just purchased my first toy car and am interested in learning the best way to protect the exterior finish. Definition - toy car is a car you only drive on weekends and pamper like a spoiled child (or wife). The Optimum products sound very good, and I especially like the way you can put down additional layers for added depth and the cross-linking polymers will cause the layers to bond together. However, I am a little nervous about something that is more permanent than wax, and have a few questions.

1) What is the recommended (most important) step to prepare the surface before the first application of OptiSeal, keeping in mind this is a new car and the clearcoat is in perfect condition? So far all I have done is wax it with a quality carnauba wax.

2) How long will the OptiSeal last and if I put down additional layers isn't there a possibility that I can get too many layers down?

3) Is there any possibility that with either improper preparation or too many coats, that it may start to peel?

4) How do you remove the product without damaging the finish, if you want to start fresh?

5) Most of the members on this forum seem to be professional detailers, who put down the OptiSeal with power buffers. One member describes polishing until the product "melts into the paint", which seems to imply a power buffer. Can a weekend detailer apply the OptiSeal products by hand or is a power buffer required?

6) Is there a recommended regimen of different Optimum treatments and products (layers) that you would recommend for a new car, along with a schedule on how often to repeat?

And finally

7) I have read on other forums that some of the acrylic coatings can look "sterile", especially on dark colors. Does the OptiSeal present the same issue on dark colors? I have also read that some people will add a quality carnauba wax on top of the sealant, to give it a wetter, deeper shine. Is that a recommended step for the OptiSeal product?

Sorry if this post is in the wrong topic section and thanks for all the great information!

BJ

Hello and welcome to the forum :angry:

In answer to your question 1 - Claying will be the most important pre-polish step. Usually your steps will be :

Clay

Polish

Seal

After you next wash your car feel the surface of it with your naked hand. Does it feel fairly smooth? Now take a sandwich baggie and with your hand inside the baggie run it across your paint, how's that feel now? I'm guessing that you may be feeling some bumps and grit and if so then you need to clay your paint.

In reply to question #2 - OptiSeal can last anywhere from 6 to 9 months, maybe more on a garage queen. I have myself applied 4 layers and no problems. Others have applied 7 and 8 layers and had no problems. Just make sure you give the first layer at least and hour or two before applying the second and then 24 hours for each layer after that.

In reply to question #3 - OptiSeal will in no way peel, crack or yellow.

In reply to question #4 - To remove OptiSeal you can clay the paint, polish it or go over it with an alcohol wipe down.

In reply to question #5 - I'm not sure of anyone using a high speed rotary to apply the OptiSeal but one person has used an orbital polisher, I believe the PC, to apply OptiSeal. You may have misread where some are using an orbital to apply Optimum spray wax. OptiSeal can be used by enthusiast and pro alike.

In reply to question #6 - I would, after the paint prep, apply 2 or 3 layers of OptiSeal and then after several hours apply Optimum spray wax. For the next 6 to 9 months apply the Optimum spray wax after every wash. You can apply the spray wax on a semi-wet car and basically dry N wax the car in one step. Then after 6 months wash, polish , clay perhaps and then add some more OptiSeal.

In reply to question #7 - OptiSeal doesn't give off a plastic or sterile look but more on the carnauba side where looks are concerned. That ever so sought after "wet look" comes more from proper prep work than any one wax or sealant. You could say that looks are 90% prep, 10% final product.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Anthony,

Wow - what a fast response!

As a follow-up to the prep question. I clayed the car (my first time ever) after reading it is an important first step and then applied some P21S wax. I also purchased some P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and some Poorboy's EX sealant, but haven't used either of those yet, except as a trial in a small area of the trunk. I really want to give the paint some extra protection (which is why I bought the EX sealant), but after reading about the cross-linking polymers of the OptiSeal, I am ready to buy some and give it a try.

1) So, can I just put the OptiSeal on top of the P21S wax, or should I polish first to strip the wax, and if so can I use the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion? Or does Optimum recommend a specific type of cleaner as the preparation treatment?

2) What type of hand applicator do you recommend? I purchased some microfiber-over-foam applicators (Detailers Paradise Skinny Foam Applicator Pad) and foam applicators (Micropak Yellow Foam Applicator Pad) - is either of those OK to use for the OptiSeal, or is there some other hand applicator you would recommend?

3) Any tricks for applying this by hand that you can pass along? You know the ones I am talking about - the ones you only learn after making bonehead mistakes doing something for the first time!

4) And finally (I know, I said that before), where can I purchase the Optimum products?

Thanks man! You have great site here!

BJ

Anthony,

Wow - what a fast response!

As a follow-up to the prep question. I clayed the car (my first time ever) after reading it is an important first step and then applied some P21S wax. I also purchased some P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and some Poorboy's EX sealant, but haven't used either of those yet, except as a trial in a small area of the trunk. I really want to give the paint some extra protection (which is why I bought the EX sealant), but after reading about the cross-linking polymers of the OptiSeal, I am ready to buy some and give it a try.

1) So, can I just put the OptiSeal on top of the P21S wax, or should I polish first to strip the wax, and if so can I use the P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion? Or does Optimum recommend a specific type of cleaner as the preparation treatment?

2) What type of hand applicator do you recommend? I purchased some microfiber-over-foam applicators (Detailers Paradise Skinny Foam Applicator Pad) and foam applicators (Micropak Yellow Foam Applicator Pad) - is either of those OK to use for the OptiSeal, or is there some other hand applicator you would recommend?

3) Any tricks for applying this by hand that you can pass along? You know the ones I am talking about - the ones you only learn after making bonehead mistakes doing something for the first time!

4) And finally (I know, I said that before), where can I purchase the Optimum products?

Thanks man! You have great site here!

BJ

Bj if I may add my 2 cents to this conversation. To start, let me say that I do some "professional" details but I am far from a full time detailer like Anthony or Ron. I guess I would say that I am a very good amateur!

If you are worried about bonding issues between the P21 and your paint, I would recommend a alcohol/water wipedown and wash to be sure there is no remaining wax which might act as a barrier to proper bonding. I have found on most cars, just a good polish with a PC using Optimum polish generally leaves the surface ready for Opti-Seal (OS).

Even though your car is new and the clear coat is in very good to great condition, I would hazard a guess that a light polishing with Optimum Polish would be beneficial as most new cars all come free with the Dealer Installed Swirls.

So far as applicators go, OS comes with two foam applicators that work just fine. You are only overlapping the OS, not rubbing it in like a traditional paste wax.

The only tricks of the trade I have learned is in regards to occasional streaking that can occur with OS. If after sealing the paint you notice light streaks, take a clean soft microfiber and very gently rub or burnish the "streaky" area. Another tip is to spray a little bit of OCW on your MF towel. Another trick I just thought of is to prime your OS applicator. This merely entails spraying a spritz or two of OS on the applicator before spraying the vehicle.

Lastly, in regards to "where to buy" Opti-Seal. There are many places to but it, but my suggestion would be to buy it from Anthony's online store which is located here in this forum! Here's the link.

Anthony's Store

Good luck and hopefully some of this info is of help to you.

The melting into the paint you are refering to is the Poli-Seal.

It can be applied by hand or machine and seams to melt into the paint with the machine application.

Good Luck with the toy. Welcome to Optimum and post some pictures when your done!

Thanks for all the tips.

I am planning to order some OptiSeal along with some Optimum Spray Wax. I have also read a lot of good things about the Optimum No Rinse, so thought I would pick up some of that too. Anthonys store seems to have competitive prices, so might as well go there!

After reading more about OS, it sounds like you don't use any type of hand or machine buffing - just wipe it on. Also sounds like you spray it on - Is the trick with OS to spray on a thin coat, and then spread it even with the applicator? Or do you spray it on the applicator and then spread it? What about glass and trim - do you tape these areas off first?

Also, anyone have any experience using this over the 3M clear bra? Do you coat it or leave it?

Thanks again!

BJ

Opti-seal can be applied to glass, trim, chrome and even the clear bra. You can spray the pad or the panel what ever works best for you. Some use it sparingly others like me are a little heavy handed with it. This will create a little streaking sometimes witch is no problem just a quick little buff with a quality micro fiber and it's gone.

We have a lot more info in the Opti-Seal Q&A thread.

Opti-seal can be applied to glass, trim, chrome and even the clear bra. You can spray the pad or the panel what ever works best for you. Some use it sparingly others like me are a little heavy handed with it. This will create a little streaking sometimes witch is no problem just a quick little buff with a quality micro fiber and it's gone.

We have a lot more info in the Opti-Seal Q&A thread.

Thanks for all the info - just ordered some products from Anthony's store - can't wait to try it!

I have more questions but will post on the products forum!

Archived