OptiSeal - Impressions of a 1st Time User

bjgross

I just received my OptiSeal order (thanks Anthony), the weekend weather cooperated, and I finally got the chance to try the OS for the 1st time - I have to admit this is awesome stuff. I tried it on the daily commuter for practice and then on our garage queen. Here is the technique I used, mainly from advice on this forum.

The previous week I had washed and topped with P21S wax. The car hadn't been driven during the week, but I washed her anyway mainly to get the dust off and dried with a waffle MF. It was sunny, but only about 59 degrees. I applied in the shade.

I spritzed the yellow applicator sponge that came with the OS twice, squeezed the sponge to distribute the OS into the sponge, and then gave it two more shots. I started on the top working around the sunroof, working front to back. I applied very little pressure and noticed as the applicator moved across the surface it left a very faint, wet looking film that started to dry almost immediately. I kept spreading it until half the top was done, moved to the other side, gave the sponge another two shots and finished the top. What I noticed is that after the 1st couple of swipes after the applicator has been sprayed that it glides fairly easily, but toward the end of a new panel it started to drag a little. I didn't like this, so whenever it happened I would give the applicator another shot. And for larger sections, like the hood, I would give two shots directly to the paint, in addition to the applicator. This seemed to keep it spreading smoothly and was more to my liking. I was probably putting too much on, but liked the way it felt as I applied it. This resulted in a couple of streaks, if you could call them that, but after I was done with the whole car, I went over those areas with an ultra plush MF towel and they disappeared. So my thought is, Who cares if it streaks a little because I was putting a little too much down? They wiped away clean with minimal effort, and I would rather error on the too much versus too little side of things.

I posted the pictures of the so called streaks, which looked like light rainbow areas before wiping with the MF. Again, these just disappeared with a light wipe of a MF. No big deal!

And the look is fantastic! I didn't put on any OCW because she looked so good, but will probably put down another coat of OS next weekend, followed by OCW after subsequent washings.

BJ

post-202-1192456284_thumb.jpgpost-202-1192456300_thumb.jpgpost-202-1192456310_thumb.jpg

post-202-1192456320_thumb.jpg

Looks great....nice color on the car also!

We have found that washing the sponges before application (allowing them to fully dry) seems to help when it comes to sponges grabbing the paint and perhaps streaking also.

I'll have a video demonstration of how I apply the OptiSeal up shortly and it makes streaking a non-issue.

Great work.

Anthony

Anthony,

For all of us old guys, who are new to the world of detailing, thank you for administering this forum. It is really terrific for us newbies! I'm afraid I have the fever now!

As to application technique - Since this was my 1st attempt at applying OS, I'm sure it will get better with time. For one thing, I think I was trying to spread it too fast, which may have contributed to the feeling of the applicator dragging. Probably a result of seeing how fast it appeared to be drying and past experience from applying paint on wood, where you don't want to back brush into paint that has already started to dry. Anyway, I think I was rushing it a little too much. I also had to fight the tendency to press hard on the applicator, instead of just letting it glide over the paint. Nothing beats direct experience, but am also eagerly waiting for the video you are working on.

We love the color too - it is Smoky Granite Mica, which in some light looks black and others looks dark grey - up close sparkles like a metallic.

I thought I read where someone uses ONR as a quick detailing spray. I like the idea of staying in one product line, so was wondering if you thought that was a good idea (versus just using OCW) and if so, what the recommended ratio is for mixing up a spray bottle?

Thanks again!

BJ

Looks good!

I think a MF applicator is the answer to the problem. I picked up four of them at Auto Zone over the weekend and will have Anthony try them out on a black BMW he has at my shop tomorrow. I used an old one last week. It had been used for other waxes and washed but felt it was still contaminated due to the light streaking it was leaving on a car I just detailed. It was easily removed with the same applicator. It just needed a little more wiping in.

The key is to use the applicator for only OS.

Looks good!

I think a MF applicator is the answer to the problem. I picked up four of them at Auto Zone over the weekend and will have Anthony try them out on a black BMW he has at my shop tomorrow. I used an old one last week. It had been used for other waxes and washed but felt it was still contaminated due to the light streaking it was leaving on a car I just detailed. It was easily removed with the same applicator. It just needed a little more wiping in.

The key is to use the applicator for only OS.

I used the microfiber applicator and it did leave a few traces. I reapplied using a fresh MF for the second coat and it worked perfectly. OS works great for me. This was my second application since initially trying it and it just continues to grow on you.

Actually, I had read that a MF applicator might work better for colder weather, so I had the internal debate over whether to use the Yellow Foam Applicator Pad that came with the OS, or a microfiber-over-foam applicator (Detailers Paradise Skinny Foam Applicator Pad) that I purchased in one of my previous supply orders. Since it was almost 60F outside when I applied it, the yellow pad won that decision.

I think I will give the MF applicator a try next time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

BJ

Archived