Boycott Berkley!!

Steve H

Okay...soap box time. I generally try to refrain from commenting on political issues, but this one was so egregious that I could not ignore it. For those of you that have heard, the City of Berkley, California recently voted to condemn the local Marine Corps recruiting office and declared them "unwelcome guests" within their city.

While I have never been in the military, I've been a cop for 20 years, I have nothing but the utmost respect for our men and women who choose to serve in our countries services protecting our freedoms. I also may not agree with some of the wars we are currently embroiled in, but, never will I bad mouth or demean our service members like this so called city counsel has chosen to.I only wish there were more I could do other than expressing my displeasure here and to anyone else who will give me 5 minutes of time to bend their ear!!

I also find it ironic that many of the "best and brightest" minds we see coming out of Berkley and the state university at this location have no problem bad mouthing others. Isn't it funny how these people eschew the "rich" and claim that the "rich and wealthy" are evil and the root of all of society's ills, yet, they have no problem going to a Starbucks for coffee, or using their wealthy parents money to pay for their tuition, or buying things online from locations that I, as a middle class American, avoid simply because I don't have that kind of expendable cash!

Phew.... I feel better....thanks for lending me your ears for 5 minutes. :):thumbsupup[1]:

Anyhow..... here's some links to both the stories regarding Berkley's position on the issue, as well as, a link to the actual city counsel agenda.

Steve

Berkley City Counsel agenda

San Jose Mercury News Article

This type of attitude and behavior, while completely stupid and ignorant, is what's expected from those seeking to promote relativism. Obviously someone in the city council has a real huge beef with President Bush and seeks to take it out on our troops. How pathetic.

By the way Steve, please post up your UDM news in the "Product Trading Post" area of the forum and good luck.

Anthony

Okay...soap box time. I generally try to refrain from commenting on political issues, but this one was so egregious that I could not ignore it. For those of you that have heard, the City of Berkley, California recently voted to condemn the local Marine Corps recruiting office and declared them "unwelcome guests" within their city.

While I have never been in the military, I've been a cop for 20 years, I have nothing but the utmost respect for our men and women who choose to serve in our countries services protecting our freedoms. I also may not agree with some of the wars we are currently embroiled in, but, never will I bad mouth or demean our service members like this so called city counsel has chosen to.I only wish there were more I could do other than expressing my displeasure here and to anyone else who will give me 5 minutes of time to bend their ear!!

I also find it ironic that many of the "best and brightest" minds we see coming out of Berkley and the state university at this location have no problem bad mouthing others. Isn't it funny how these people eschew the "rich" and claim that the "rich and wealthy" are evil and the root of all of society's ills, yet, they have no problem going to a Starbucks for coffee, or using their wealthy parents money to pay for their tuition, or buying things online from locations that I, as a middle class American, avoid simply because I don't have that kind of expendable cash!

Phew.... I feel better....thanks for lending me your ears for 5 minutes. :):thumbsupup[1]:

Anyhow..... here's some links to both the stories regarding Berkley's position on the issue, as well as, a link to the actual city counsel agenda.

Steve

Berkley City Counsel agenda

San Jose Mercury News Article

First. I'm a Marine. ret.

Second. Berkely (in the context posted) is The University of California at Berkeley. It is VERY MUCH a state university in terms of the socio-economic make up of it's students, with MOST on some form of financial aid, not coming from "their wealthy parents money to pay for their tuition".

Third. This is coming from the municipality of Berkely, California, NOT UC-Berkely.

Fourth. I disagree with the municipality of Berkely.

BUT

There are some serious Constituional issues that can be brought forth that may render the action of the City of Berkely to be well within their rights as derived from the U.S. Constitution.

To wit: Amendment III: "No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law." So what law DOES say that Berkely cannot take this action?

I would also suggest that someone look up the 10th Amendment.

Other than that, I think this could be an interesting topic to discuss. As I said there are a large number of written and unwritten Constituional issues within this topic.

Let's talk about the legal side of this.

I think we all agree that Berkely is WAY out of line, BUT are their actions LEGAL?

As a Marine, my only interest is in the sanctity of the Constitution. My positions are defined by my interpretation thereof. That was/is my DUTY.

Archived