Optimum Gloss-Coat

Ron Harris

On 8/25/2018 at 12:33 PM, A&J said:

Remember when people asked if they can apply a second layer of coating and we said yes...:P

Can you not?  I've read mixed things on the forum.  Ive read it adds more gloss and then ive read (I think Ron said) and second coat adds no durability or gloss?  Do we have a definitive answer?

On 12/9/2016 at 6:36 AM, A&J said:

Is there any benefit from applying 2 coats of gloss-coat? If so, how much time does the first coat need to cure (Im thinking 1h)?

On 12/9/2016 at 10:44 AM, The Guz said:

Besides even coverage, you get more gloss. 1 hour between coats is recommended.

Another recommendation is using opti-seal 1 hour after the last coat to protect gloss coat during the 7 day curing window.

This is what im referring to.. I thought i read somewhere Yvan saying a second coat does nothing.  I would like to know because I would love more gloss but dont want to waste this precious liquid 

• 2 months later...

If I need to apply a second coat, or cover a spot I may have missed, but already applied optiseal, is it safe to use ONR and paint prep on the surface to remove the optiseal to apply glosscoat again? I’m doing this after the car has sat for a day. Should I wait longer for it to cure to not affect the first coat?

• 1 month later...

I applied Optimum Gloss Coat to a new BMW in May 2017.   The car is hand washed 2-3x per month and kept inside.  The surface still beads water as if it were waxed yesterday.  #Impressive.  From past experience, I've had a hard time resisting the urge to polish / wax...    After 2 years, what now?  Do I clay bar?  Polish?  Re-apply?   Or, leave it alone?

20 hours ago, Salt1972 said:

I applied Optimum Gloss Coat to a new BMW in May 2017.   The car is hand washed 2-3x per month and kept inside.  The surface still beads water as if it were waxed yesterday.  #Impressive.  From past experience, I've had a hard time resisting the urge to polish / wax...    After 2 years, what now?  Do I clay bar?  Polish?  Re-apply?   Or, leave it alone?

If you are happy with water beading/sheeting then probably just continue with your normal maintenance washes.  You may want to consider doing an annual decontamination wash as shown in the following youtube video to improve the coatings hydrophobic properties (Power Clean, Ferrex with Ultimate Clay Towel and MDR application before normal wash). 

Opti-Coat, Ceramic Coating, 9 Years Later??

Using Opti-Coat Hyper-Seal as a topper/drying aid will also help extend the life of the coating.

• 2 months later...

How does gloss coat react to matte or satin finishes? Does it add gloss? I just had my hood wrapped with a satin black clear bra and planning on coating it in the next few weeks but want the satin finish to remain the same.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

if you chemically decontaminate (not clay) it's very possible your Gloss-Coat is still there and performing.  You can layer coatings but it doesn't extend the durability.  Polishing and re-coating starts the coating clock at Day One.