Optimums New Spray Wax- 1st review

Today I received my bottles of the new Optimum Spray Wax and Instant Detailer/Gloss Enhancing Spray. I was lucky enough to win these in this months product giveaway (Thank you so much Doctor G and Anthony)

I looked at my car and, well, darned if it wasn't dusty...don't ya just hate that?!?! Well in to the garage it went. I broke out the ONR and my trusty wash bucket and went to town. After washing the car I decided to go ahead and clay the hood with Sonus Green clay which is very mild. I did this for two reasons. One, I hadn't clayed the car in some time and so it needed it and; Two, I wanted at least one fairly pristine surface on the car so I could judge the product as well as possible. After claying the hood I polished it with Optimum Poli-Seal. I did this mostly because I wanted to play with my new Flex polisher!! (It rocks!! A review on that later....)

Now before you ask me "How's the longevity?" let me just say that after 30 minutes in an enclosed garage.....it's holding up tremendously!!! :)

Okay....as for the smell. It pretty much smells like the old OCW, perhaps just a bit more "fruity". I am actually pretty fond of the smell so that was bonus for me. In applying, ie spraying the product, I found that the new formula was a bit more viscous. It didn't seem to run as much as the older formula did. It seemed wetter, but with better initial adhesion when sprayed on a verticle surface. The product spreads very smoothly with a folded MF towel and didn't give any splotchiness or streaking. Wipe off....very easy with a second "buffing" MF towel. Feel..........HOLY CRAP BATMAN. I do not know what the heck Doctor G did in the lab to OCW but whatever it was WOW. It's extremely, dare I say EXTREMELY, slick feeling. So much so that I grabbed my 13 year old daughter and made her feel the paint and then dragged the wife out and made her do the same. I will admit, I have never tried Duragloss, probably OCW's closest competitor in the spray wax field, but this wax has got to be the VERY BEST spray wax I have ever tried. Yes that is a strong statement....but I feel it is that good! The gloss seems to be slightly better than the original OCW, but I want to wait a day to give you my opinion on that. OCW seems to look better after about 24 hours of curing so time will be the judge on that aspect.

Okay...so what I don't like.......

This product leaves behind such a slick surface that if your car is in need of claying......you'll know it! The "bonded contaminants" that are in all daily driver cars stand out like a sore thumb. I mean like most of us car nuts, I take pretty darn good care of my car, but after feeling the paint after New OCW... I felt embarrassed. I mean the wax slickness really makes them stand out!!! Oh well, I know what I'll be doing after the next washing!

I have always been a fan of OCW, but this new stuff has totally won me over!

Dr G....you did awesome!!!!

Thanks for your review Steve! I haven't tried mine out yet cause I'm adding 3 coats of OS (1 after each wash for 3 washes) and I still have one to go. I did use the new OID and OMG it's super slick. My new toy is a Wagner HVLP sprayer to apply Optibond-4 tires and wheel wells in 1 minute...very cool.

Dude I am jealous of you having the Opti-Bond!! :)

Nice review. I received mine yesterday also. I had washed the fiances silver equinox Sunday. So just for giggles I used Instant Detailer/Gloss Enhancing Spray (IDGES) on the hood to clean off what little dust was on it. Then one half I applied the new OCW and the other just left it alone with the IDGES. I knew it was supposed to rain today so I am going to try and get some beading shots and see how they stand up to each other.

Great reviews guys and happy to see the products found a place in your detailing toolbox :) After all, it's all about what you personally feel is best and works for you.

It would seem that the QID is rather addicting so be fore warned!

Take care,

Anthony

Steve,

did you just spray, wipe (1st pass) , then wipe off (2nd pass) without buffing ? as in literally wipe on and off single directional strokes yeah ?

and those with the OID, it is the same procedure too right ?

For 32Oz version of OID, do you need to dilute? Or just for the Gallon.

The 320z bottle needs to be diluted as well. Just pour it in to a gallon fill up the 32oz bottlle 3 more times dumping it into your gallon container

and BAM! you got your self a gallon of QD. Then fill the empty 32oz bottle with the mixed and ready to use prosuct add your sprayer to the top and start

cleaning.

The 320z bottle needs to be diluted as well. Just pour it in to a gallon fill up the 32oz bottlle 3 more times dumping it into your gallon container

and BAM! you got your self a gallon of QD. Then fill the empty 32oz bottle with the mixed and ready to use prosuct add your sprayer to the top and start

cleaning.

Can I use the 32oz straight.. ??? :)

Not sure how many of you guys dry your cars paint with a leaf blower but if you get the chance to do so you'll notice that you can almost completely dry the car with a few passes. Then take your QID (or favorite QD) and go around and touch it up here and there.

Now of course you'll get great drying results whether you have OCW/OS or some other LSP, which is not my point here but rather to let you all know that the less you touch the paint the less chance of accidental marring.

Ron and I also notice that when we have the ability to wash cars with treated water (soft water, etc.) the beads are far tighter and blow off the car easily. When working with tap water make sure you dry your car thoroughly, this means every nook and cranny!

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
It's extremely, dare I say EXTREMELY, slick feeling. So much so that I grabbed my 13 year old daughter and made her feel the paint and then dragged the wife out and made her do the same. I will admit, I have never tried Duragloss, probably OCW's closest competitor in the spray wax field, but this wax has got to be the VERY BEST spray wax I have ever tried. Yes that is a strong statement....but I feel it is that good! The gloss seems to be slightly better than the original OCW, but I want to wait a day to give you my opinion on that. OCW seems to look better after about 24 hours of curing so time will be the judge on that aspect.

Dr G....you did awesome!!!!

I have used Optimum Spray Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, and Duragloss Fast Clean & Shine. I have not yet tried the new Wax enhancer. To me Duragloss and Optimum are neck and neck and I can't really decide which one I like best. As the above poster suggests I think Duragloss is a very close competitor. On the one hand I can pick up Duragloss at the local store, Optimum has to be ordered so It's sometimes a matter of whether I can wait or I'm in a hurry.

Both excellent products!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't ordered the new OCW but I think I won't be able to resist much longer. Last Friday night, after doing an ONR wash, I applied some OCW that I got last year. Because it was only in the mid-40s, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to wax but it worked just fine. I have to say the results were even nicer than I had remembered from last summer. (My most recent waxing had been several layers of Collinite 476s to get me through the long Alaskan winter.) If the old formula OCW looks this good, how can I not order the new version? I still have a hard time accepting that a product can be this easy to use and have such great results. Must be my puritan roots. I feel like OCW is magic, but I realize it's the product of great minds at work. We are darn lucky to have found this line.

Archived