Optimum Compund and Polish advice

Greetings, I am new to the optimum products and detailing in general. I have been advised on some other forums, but I thought I would seek out a few tips here.

I have a 2004 VW Touareg that i am working to correct swirls and spider-webbing. I started with OP, but I couldnt get the results I wanted. I was advised to get the Compound and follow it with the Polish. I am using a PC 7424 for application, and I have yellow, orange, white, and grey LC 6.5 CCS pads.

I worked on the hood last night(One pass with Compound with an orange LC pad, PC speed 5.5 followed by Polish with a white pad at 5.5) and i thought everything went well, but I can still see some minor swirls/scratches in direct sunlight.

It is my understanding that the VW clear is very hard in comparison with other vehicles, so what can i do with the products that I have? Should I use a yellow pad with the Compound, orange with the polish?What are the ideal combinations? How many passes do I need to make? For each section, how long and at what speed should I use the PC?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I feel like I have researched this enough to get better results. Hopefully you can help me..TIA

For heavy duty correction with a PC I like using a smaller pad. Try 4" or 5" LC pads (might need to get a smaller backing plate), orange with the compound and white with the polish, go slow and apply some pressure. You can do some correction with the PC, but it takes some time. As for the number of passes, you need to break the polish down....work it until it goes clear and don't use too much (a little goes a long way). I'd stick with speed 5 or 6. You can go over the vehicle with the grey 6.5 pad with some OP to bring out the gloss even more.

Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to the board!

For heavy duty correction with a PC I like using a smaller pad. Try 4" or 5" LC pads (might need to get a smaller backing plate), orange with the compound and white with the polish, go slow and apply some pressure. You can do some correction with the PC, but it takes some time. As for the number of passes, you need to break the polish down....work it until it goes clear and don't use too much (a little goes a long way). I'd stick with speed 5 or 6. You can go over the vehicle with the grey 6.5 pad with some OP to bring out the gloss even more.

Hope this helps. Good luck and welcome to the board!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the smaller pads on the next detail, I dont think the wife wants me to order anything else right now :confused1[1]:

I used yellow pads w/OC last night and the correction was better, but there are still some scratches that I couldn't correct. Do you think I should try hyper compound next time, or am I wasting my time with a PC on a VW?

In regards to the amount to use, how much should I use on a 2x2 section with a 6.5 pad? I used 3 or 4 pea sized dots, is that too much, or not enough? How long should it take for that amount to "go clear"?

Sorry for the 20 questions.....

Archived