Gloss coat curing time/temperature

SLP 6244

Hey everyone, new to the forum and coatings all together. I'm looking at the gloss coat but unsure if I am too late or not in the season where I live. I live in Pennsylvania and the night time temperatures are starting to get into the upper 40's low 50's at night and mid 60's to 70's during the day. I read somewhere that the minimum temperature for the product is 50. But is that just for the first 24hrs or the full 30day curing time? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to all things Optimum! The temp range for Gloss-Coat is 40 degrees to 80 degrees, so you should be fine. Gloss-Coat is surface cured in 1 hour (vehicle can be driven in rain/snow). We recommend not washing with soap for 7 days...not sure where your 30 day cure time came from (there is internal cross linking going on that long, but it doesn't affect drivability),

Ok, thanks Ron. That's great to know. I read somewhere about it not being totally cured for 30 days so that had me worried that the temperature would drop to low in a months time. So I figured this would be the best place to find out. Any problems with putting a car cover on it after the 24hrs? It's a nice weather weekend car that spends most of its time under a cover.

Couple more quick questions. How would you go about apply gloss coat to these wheels to avoid getting high spots and getting it into the corners? Also once the syringe is opened for the first time, how long is it good for once the cap is placed back on?

DSC_0067_zpsc2b2d1f7.jpg

I finally got a chance to use gloss coat but did I use enough? The only thing done at this time was the paint, nothing else. It's been 24hrs now and I see I have one spot that I missed leveling so I need to fix that. How long should I wait before I can apply a second coat if I wanted to?

20151017_195017_zpsbyu8c4kq.jpg

20151017_194831_zpsrx1fwoq5.jpg

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Optigk said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m wondering when Ron states you can reapply at anytime.....does this mean anytime within the curing period or anytime, like a few months later?

The second coat can be done within 30-60 min after 1st coat or the coating can be re-applied after time. You just have to wash-decontaminate-panel prep the paint and you are good to re-apply gloss coat.

Archived