Opticoat pro plus - swirls

swmalm

My original opticoat pro plus application was done immediately after delivery of new car. I just took it in for service for a recall, and didn't dawn on me that it would be washed, or to tell them not to (they never asked, just did it).

Anyway, the car ended up with swirls all over. I took it to my detailer and he said that it would likely need to be completely re-done (correction and re-apply).

I'd like to ask the experts what other options I may have if the dealer doesn't cover the cost, as I can't afford to do it over again. Of course I'll ask my detailer as well, but the more input the better.

Thanks

dealer car washes suck. Your installer can probably help, ask him to use Primer as a light polish to remove swirls without compromising OCP. Hyper Polish is another option. If the swirls are bad, the hopefully the dealer will pay for correction and re-coat.

Thanks Ron. Yes, my heart sank when I noticed they washed it, then hoped that maybe I'd get lucky, but not so much. Swirls are everywhere, although not that visible in the past two days with overcast conditions (maybe I will move to Seattle ;)).

You mention not compromising OCP with the primer, but what about the "plus" layer?

Ron, I know you said Plus is not as robust as Opti-coat pro but shouldnt it have no problems withstanding a one time car wash with the dealership? I mean, I take my car to the automatic car wash and though it will scratch, ive never seen anything too crazy even from those crazy spinning thingys. What exactly is that dealership using that would inflict enough swirls on a coated car let alone a non coated car???? This makes no sense to me.

unfortunately there's a huge variety in dealership wash programs - some are touchless, some use bristles or smack the car with fabric. I've also seen workers pull oily shop towels from pockets to dry cars...still makes me shudder. In general, OCP+ should be able to deal with the random auto car wash...

Oldford is correct, Opti-Seal does not fill. In fact, no Optimum product fills due to short durability of fillers. To remove swirls or light marring you should use polish like Hyper Polish or an all in one like GPS. Only use polish if necessary as OCP should reduce the amount of marring.

• 1 month later...

I thought these coating were strong and would resist swirl marks from a wash. Is this not the case?

The coating will develop swirls/scratches, based on my own experience. At least it is not in the original paint - the coating will "resist" not prevent.. The place that applied Opti to my car nicely stated they will polish and re-apply after winter since I noticed scratching after two washes of a not very dirty car. On my car I did notice that the swirls/scratches do seem to be "lighter" in nature. in any event, Opti Coat is not swirl proof. that said it maintains it's gloss niceley and the the water continues to sheet very well meaning you don't need to dry it as much witha mirco fiber or other towell. I use the two bucket method, sheet the water off and then use a leaf blower for most of the car.

The problem is defining "scratch or swirl" - OPC+ will protect against minor marring, but there is no product that will stop a serious scratch. I suggested Primer or Hyper Polish to correct swirls, but any polish removes some coating (that's how they work), and Plus is the outer most layer and the first to go. If done with care, you will not remove all Plus, so it becomes a trade off. If you polish, Opti-Seal can add back some protection/shine, but won't have it's normal durability over OCP.

Archived