Opticoat pro plus - swirls

swmalm

5/6 is commonplace. I've seen some HONDA and Subaru paints come in at 3/4. Ceramiclear and some GM can get 6/6.5

Excellent. That may save you some future anguish.

And the dealer and ass beating. LOL!!! Even today with my bike, I told the dealer do not wash it. And that hasn't been coated yet either...

Realistically, you can expect Opti-Coat® to improve scratch resistance by 2-3 pencil hardness degrees above the original substrate hardness. Opti-Coat® resin on its own is 9h+, so when applied to paint rated at 5h you will see difficulty to scratch raised to 7h+/-.

Dealerships typically wash with a brush, or drive the car up the street to an automatic wash that can see 300 cars or more each day with the same cloth mitters never being cleaned. They also usually get the cheapest, exterior wash which uses the least lubrication. So it's easy to see why it could do damage in a single wash.

We have recently started shipping Opti-Coat® with a hang tag that states DO NOT WASH to hang from the mirror. We can send one out to you if you want to place a small order to cover the shipping. Call Maggie or Shay at 901-363-4955 and ask for one.

Just wondering why the original paint hardness matters? If this is a coating independent of and over the original paint, why isn't the hardness of the coating the actual hardness of the opti-coat that was applied?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does pure polish (one that doesn't have abrasives) like meguires deep crystal polish remove the coating? I read in this thread that any polish would remove it but I get the feeling that statement is assuming the polish actually has abrasives in it.....which a pure polish like meguiars deep crystal polish does not

Archived