How to fix a scratch on Opticoat Pro+?

I have an OptiCoat Pro+ coated car and I just spotted a scratch on the door. I realize that Pro+ cannot prevent scratches so how does one fix the scratch? On a non-coated car, a little bit of polishing with a fine compound would be one way of fixing the scratch but if I did that on a coated car, that would remove the coating, right?

• tkripala changed the title to How to fix a scratch on Opticoat Pro+?

Indeed, the only way to move Opti Coat is via abrasion.

Your best bet is to go to your installer and have him polish and reapply Opti Coat to the area.

funny to see Dann listed as "new to the Forum" - while not active on the OPT Forum, Dann is anything but new to Optimum.  A past pro installer, Regional Manager, and current VP of Business Development, Dann is as knowledgeable as anyone could hope for and a welcome voice here!

Could the area be spot repaired (after polishing out the scratch) with Gloss Coat? There would be a cost involved with this considering how much you would need. 

I also imagine this would affect your warranty with the original installer. 

if you polish the scratch you will be removing the Coating - installers will do spot repairs and there should be no effect on the warranty if the original detailer does it.   You could polish yourself and apply Gloss-Coat but that would negate your warranty.

I took a closer look at the scratch after I washed the car yesterday and it doesn't look or feel like the scratch is in the top coat, i.e. Opti-Coat Pro+. I ran my finger lightly over it to see if I could feel the scratch but couldn't tell. So, it looks like it may be under the Opticoat layer. I guess I'll have to take it to the installer and have it looked at.

Archived