TIRE PROTECTION AND COATING

Ron@Optimum

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how clean the tire is, when the TPC is applied, the application cloth turns black, suggesting that the tire in fact wasn't clean afterall? I've just tried an experiment - I went over the same small area of the tire LOTS of times, using a petroleum distillate based wax & grease remover - the cloth ALWAYS turned black.  It can't possibly be dirt IMHO - am I leaching out carbon black from the rubber?

13 hours ago, GregS said:

Has anyone else noticed that no matter how clean the tire is, when the TPC is applied, the application cloth turns black, suggesting that the tire in fact wasn't clean afterall? I've just tried an experiment - I went over the same small area of the tire LOTS of times, using a petroleum distillate based wax & grease remover - the cloth ALWAYS turned black.  It can't possibly be dirt IMHO - am I leaching out carbon black from the rubber?

I don't think you are pulling the carbon black out, I'm not sure that's possible.  I'm going to guess that you have used silicone dressings on the tires previously, perhaps even oil-based dressings.  IMO a petroleum distillate is not the best thing to use to achieve a clean surface for a tire coating.  Optimum recommends straight Optimum Power Clean; there are also some other very good tire cleaners like the Tuf Shine and even some of the Mothers products.  You may have to clean with this aqueous method many, many times if you have recently been using oil-based dressings.  You may even have to let the tires rest for a few weeks to allow more to come out of the tire.

Why would silicone cause the cloth to be black? Silicone is clear. I just spoke with my tire shop - they said straight away that it's the carbon black.

So I'm going to cut my cleaning WAY down. The carbon black is there for a reason - it's beneficial. When my tires look clean and with an even matte finish, that's when I'll stop.

Btw, I AM using Power Clean - the wax & grease remover was just an experiment.

IMHO, the TPC is actually pulling the carbon black out - that's why it too causes my cloths to turn black. 

Yep - all I'm doing for my TPC coated tires is wiping them with a waterless wash fluid.  I've been cleaning my rims like that for many years, too - I do it very often though, and I seem to have low dusting pads & rotors. It comes off VERY easily. Occassionally I'll spot clean with something stronger though.

Btw - I'm due for a pair of new tires soon - I'll see whether brand new tires shed black.  If not, that would perhaps disprove the carbon black theory. (and I'll ensure no tire shine is applied at the shop)

Edited by GregS

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question :  I went through the steps to apply the Tire dressing:  Opticlean, etc.  dried towel with rag and air blower. Applied the dressing, waited an hr, and did a second coat.  The result was not what I expected.  Hardly any shine. Very dull looking tires.

I know the tires were cleaned. Perhaps they weren't completely dry and I put too much dressing on??  Not sure. 

I would like to remove the dressing and start all over. Should I use the Optimum tar remover and then start with Power clean, etc?

Any thoughts on why this didn't take the first time, and any precautions for re-applying, etc.

Thanks so much

Greg