TIRE PROTECTION AND COATING

Ron@Optimum

😃 Just FYI, for others interested in trying spraying it, it's probably best to wear protective gear - I wore a simple mouth & nose mask designed for "nuisance" levels of mists & dust, and goggles.  (I don't know for certain whether that's sufficient - I took a guess) The goggles also helped to create a better seal for the mask.  I've seen videos of home hobbyists using an airbrush to Pai scale models - they sometimes cover their whole body - including a "sock" for their head.   Needless to say, I did not do the actual spraying in my living room. If the tyres are on the car, I would probably protect the entire  car, due to the mist.  

One of the tyres has some excess in the ridges, and it's white, which looks unsightly. I had this problem when applying by hand as well. Will upload a pic. This may be one reason why the advice is to apply thinly.

I decided to try an experiment - I flexed the tyre wall quite vigorously. Even areas that were not white, have now started to turn white, due to the TPC "cracking" under the stress.  Does this mean it was indeed applied far too thickly? Or is it a deficiency of TPC?  In any case, this tyre must now be completely stripped - no question.

Yes they are the new tyres. I've decided to retreat to the safety of a conventional gel for the time being.  I've already started testing CarPro Perl and so far I like it a lot. Will probably try Opti-Bond as well - it's a bit easier for me to get. Btw the main Sydney supplier for Optimum stuff (Zen Automotive) are really great to deal with.