Hyper Polish question

Gordon Parr

Good day all!

i just picked up a new to me Tesla Model 3...it will require detailing. I have looked the paint over and see nothing serious to worry about. However I know it will need a little claying after a Ferrex treatment.

Is Hyper Polish the least abrasive polish that Optimum makes? If so, what pads would you recommend I use with the OHP? I want to make sure everything is as a good as I can get before the gloss coat.

Thanks!!!

Congrats on the new Tesla Model 3.

In sprayable form, Hyper Polish is the least abrasive polish.  I believe Optimum finish might be slightly less aggressive but Hyper Polish is best to use with Optimum coatings as it contains additional product to aid leveling of coating (as do all sprayable Hyper compounds).

The least aggressive Optimum pad is the blue waffle pad which is considered a finishing pad.  Typically this very soft pad should only be required for the most finicky (soft) paints which are typically Japanese makes (nissan/infiniti).  For most paints, the Optimum black waffle pad is most appropriate for final polish.  You can go with other flat polishing pads from other companies (Lake Country or Buff and Shine) but Optimum recommends waffle pads for two reasons: 

1. Minimize temperature rise on panel - modern clear coat paint will swell when it gets hot which makes the abrasives in the polish/compound less effective so you want to minimize the temperature rise of panel during polishing/compounding.  The waffle pattern allows for more air flow to keep the panel cool. Recommended speed setting on dual action polisher when using Hyper products is 3

2. Minimize stalling on body lines - when using dual action polisher, the rotation is free running and can stall when you hit high points.  The waffle pattern minimizes the chance of stalling compared to flat pad.  The waffle pattern is also more effective at polishing these indentations without having to change to smaller diameter pad.

I would also recommend you have some Optimum Paint Prep on hand to do the final wipe down. A standard 15% IPA wipe down is adequate but when compared side by side with Paint Prep, it is no contest.  When using Paint Prep, I find gloss coat is absorbed almost fully minimizing potential high spots.

Thanks for the very thorough answer, Mutant, and very accurate!

Hyper Polish (and Compound) have ingredients that assist in Coating application, part of Dr G's formulation, and why we recommend using them to prep for Coatings.  Actually Hyper Polish is very close formula to the Primer Polish Optimum includes with it's Pro Coatings.  Synergy!

Thanks Ron.

Learned a lot during my two day Optimization Course with Yvan. Confirmed with Yvan that additive is in all three compounds (Hyper Polish, Hyper Intensive Polish and Hyper Compound) in case for some reason you want to do a single step correction with more aggressive compound before applying coating.  During the course, Yvan seem to imply than Primer Polish (included in Opti-Coat kit) is the same as Hyper Polish.  He suggested that any left over Primer Polish from Opti-Coat kits should used to top up Hyper Polish bottles in the shop.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 9:49 AM, Detail Mutant said:

Congrats on the new Tesla Model 3.

In sprayable form, Hyper Polish is the least abrasive polish.  I believe Optimum finish might be slightly less aggressive but Hyper Polish is best to use with Optimum coatings as it contains additional product to aid leveling of coating (as do all sprayable Hyper compounds).

The least aggressive Optimum pad is the blue waffle pad which is considered a finishing pad.  Typically this very soft pad should only be required for the most finicky (soft) paints which are typically Japanese makes (nissan/infiniti).  For most paints, the Optimum black waffle pad is most appropriate for final polish.  You can go with other flat polishing pads from other companies (Lake Country or Buff and Shine) but Optimum recommends waffle pads for two reasons: 

1. Minimize temperature rise on panel - modern clear coat paint will swell when it gets hot which makes the abrasives in the polish/compound less effective so you want to minimize the temperature rise of panel during polishing/compounding.  The waffle pattern allows for more air flow to keep the panel cool. Recommended speed setting on dual action polisher when using Hyper products is 3

2. Minimize stalling on body lines - when using dual action polisher, the rotation is free running and can stall when you hit high points.  The waffle pattern minimizes the chance of stalling compared to flat pad.  The waffle pattern is also more effective at polishing these indentations without having to change to smaller diameter pad.

I would also recommend you have some Optimum Paint Prep on hand to do the final wipe down. A standard 15% IPA wipe down is adequate but when compared side by side with Paint Prep, it is no contest.  When using Paint Prep, I find gloss coat is absorbed almost fully minimizing potential high spots.

great info

some off the best advice i have read i n this form, was reading a lot about people having high spots with gloss coat your right about paint prep used gloss coat about three times used paint prep never had any issues and i am no pro. 

thanks

• 2 years later...

Interesting info about the Hyper Polish!  I am getting ready to apply Gloss Coat in the next few weeks to a new white Honda and I was planning on using DA + polishing pads to very lightly polish with Intensive Polish prior to using Optimum Paint Prep.

Is this OK or worth purchasing the Hyper Polish instead of using the Intensive Polish I already have? 

Thanks!

Many pro installer use Intensive Polish prior to coating and have nothing but good things to say.  Intensive Polish has more correction than Hyper Polish, so something to be aware of - using polishing versus compound pads should mitigate the abrasives.  I would check a section first to make sure your not over-correcting. 

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 1:58 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Thanks for the very thorough answer, Mutant, and very accurate!

Hyper Polish (and Compound) have ingredients that assist in Coating application, part of Dr G's formulation, and why we recommend using them to prep for Coatings.  Actually Hyper Polish is very close formula to the Primer Polish Optimum includes with it's Pro Coatings.  Synergy!

Does anyone know if this goes for non OPT coAtings as well? I know I know stick to the system but I would still like to know. 

I have no idea if other ceramics work with Hyper products, but because most of them are SiO2, I would not be confident.  You might need to use IPA to ensure no polish residue before coating...something you don't need to do with the Optimum Synergy.