Optimum Tire Protection & Coating Review

toddj

Dr G suggested that some tire compounds don't work well with TPC, whether it's release agents or chemicals added to the rubber for elasticity, the applications are problematic.  Next time I will really concentrate on cleaning and use maximum amount of TPC to flood the ribs.  I may try a different brush, the one I use is designed for tires but the bristles are medium soft - may try a wire style. 

I have noticed the same issue of blotchy application depending on tire manufacturer and how new the tires are.  Worst application was on new Nokian Entyre 2.0 on my wifes mini-van.  Ended up applying 2.5 coats to try and get even coverage (third application only touch up).  The ribbed sidewall also made it difficult.  On Bridgestone Blizzaks (two years old)  I had reasonably good application at 1.5 coats (second minor touch up).  I generally have the best success of even coverage on Michelin tires ( 1 coat on 3 year old Pilot SuperSport and 1.5 coats on new X-Ice Snow).

Based upon my experience, I will probably avoid applying to tires with ribbed sidewalls as it does not improve the look or improve the maintenance significantly over Optimum Tire Bond.  The main advantage of TPC is when applied correctly it virtually eliminates any tire browning for six months so that you basically can clean with ONR.  When you have ribbed sidewalls, dirt gets trapped that you still should be using APC to clean tires.

For application of TPC, I use some of the cheapest microfiber towels you can find at Walmart (11% Polyamide and 89% polyesters).  You generally want low polyamide content to avoid TPC being absorbed in the microfiber towel.  I also cut the the towels into quarters (roughly 6 inch by 6 inch) then fold over once on one side and twice on other side making a 3 inch wide by 1.5 inch applicator.  I find this makes a nice edge for TPC to most tires.  I will typically use a clip to hold the applicator so I can more easily control and prevent the applicator from unfolding.

• 2 weeks later...

Second attempt with TPC and ribbed tires - I attacked my last car with some different methodology using suggestions from Dr G and Detail Mutant.  These tires are also ribbed Continentals but are 4 years old.  I started by:

cleaning with instant detailer ratio ONR

Applied TAR, rinsed with ONR (this was a new step - the TAR really helped clean the rubber)

100% Power Clean, rinsed with ONR

2nd application of 100% Power Clean, rinsed with ONR.  Tires looking good after the cleaning.

allow to dry overnight, do another ONR wipe down and allow to dry

Apply generous amounts of TPC using the Dual Foam Applicator (Dr Gs recommendation).  Was hard on the foam applicator but allowed better coverage than microfiber.

Results - much better, good coverage and no blotchy areas, will now monitor durability.

Follow up on past applications (even the blotchy one) - tires look better than untreated but after several weeks, including several rainstorms and pollen season, they lost some shine.  The good news, a wipe down with ONR returned them to 70% of the fresh treated look, probably equal to Opti-Bond.  So far so good

• 1 month later...

TPC update - almost 3 months after application.  The product is still there, in spite of monsoon weather this spring!  The tires with blotchy appearance are still blotchy, but there is a shine that's more than normal.  The last set of tires with a more perfected process still have good gloss and no signs of the dreaded red splotches.  After a light ONR wipe they look like just treated rubber.  That saves me from having to mess with tires....a very good thing in my book!

• 11 months later...

Time flies when you live on a lake...kinda the point?  I revisited my tire and TPC last weekend, surprised it's been 14 months!  The tires were still showing slight gloss and I impulsively decided to reapply TPC.  I say impulsively because I didn't review the excellent video Yvan and Mack posted about prepping to reapply...and attacked 2 sets of tires over 2 days.  I didn't apply TAR as suggested, but did use concentrate Power Clean and a tire brush to aggressively scrub.  After a good ONR wipe down and dry, I pretty thoroughly coated tires, trying to get into the ribs that irritated me last time.  Interestingly enough, the tires that came out very good the first time look excellent now.  The car that looked meh the first time, looks better this time, but still splotchy.  Because both sets of tires are heavily ribbed so the appearance is influenced by light and viewing angle.  All in all I'm impressed by the durability but add there can be a big range in the appearance with TPC.