Optimum Tire Protection & Coating Review

toddj

Requesting some assistance...

I was using OTC on my previous tires (2 different vehicles and tire brands) without issue. Had new rubber installed Monday, washed and coated the tires yesterday. Washed with Power Clean, dried thoroughly, and applied OTC. The finish is cracked and peeling.  What’s the best way to correct this?

Try Optimum TAR Remover (Tar/Adhesive/Rubber) - it might take multiple applications, TPC is tough stuff.  I've had a number of people with similar stories - application on 1 set of tires worked great, but another had issues.  It appears silicone in the rubber, if not totally removed through thorough and repeated cleanings, leaches out and interferes with TPC bonding.

6 hours ago, Catastrofe said:

Thanks Ron.  I probably over-applied.

That may be, but you said this was "new rubber" and you need to consider that there was probably residual mold release on the tire that may not have responded to your normal cleaning regimen.

A rep for another tire coating suggests that new tires be driven for some weeks and cleaned periodically to bloom off (my phrase) the mold release.  The same advice is given for tires that have had silicone-based dressings applied.  These mold releases and dressings are doing their job of adhering to and/or penetrating the tire, and it takes some effort to get them out to allow for a good coating application.

So I used TAR  to remove as much TPC as possible, but there’s still some residue. Each tire was sprayed, scrubbed, and power washed 4 times (I used about 24oz of product).  The remaining residue isn’t coming off through any effort of mine...

How long should I wait before attempting to coat again?  

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to trying TPC - have to admit I hesitated because there were problem installs and I hate cleaning tires, too much work.  Things we've learned - do not apply to new tires (one reason I waited), the release agents and other additives in new rubber interfere with bonding, causing blotches, etc.  Proper/thorough cleaning with concentrated Power Clean is essential and don't use degreaser products.  The best way to remove is paint thinner (TAR will work but takes multiple applications).

My experience - applied to my Garage Queen (BMW Z3) - used concentrated Power Clean with firm tire brush, repeated twice and rinsed well.  I dried completely, then applied TPC with an old microfiber, completely coating tires.  I liked the matte look, so only did 1 coating.  Have to admit they came out looking really good.  Now I'll see how long it holds up.  The actual process was less work than I feared and now I'm ready to attack my other cars/tires.

Test ll for TPC. After successful first test I applied TPC to a second car this weekend.  Using the same cleaning regimen - spray concentrated Power Clean, allow to dwell, rinse with ONR, then repeat.  After a final rinse with ONR, I allowed the tires to dry completely. Using an old microfiber, I applied TPC to the tires but immediately found it hard to spread evenly.  These tires are year old Continentals and they have fine ribs.  It was hard to get product into the ribs and it dried blotchy - not sure if that was a cleaning issue or uneven product application.  I tried a 2nd coat to see it evened up, even trying an up & down motion to fill ribs, but no joy.  I didn't get the ugly discolored blotches I've seen in photos, just an uneven color distribution, so it's possible I didn't get the ribs as clean as necessary.  All in all the tires look better and I'll be curious how durable the coating is, but the blotching is discernible to someone even partially anal (like me).  My last car also has Continental tires with ribs...so I will REALLY focus on thorough cleaning before application.  Optimum recommends applying TPC with an HVLP gun (10 psi and .08 needle) that could allow better coverage in ribs.  I don't have one and unless Dr G wants to supply it, I will have use the towel.)  I will also use more product to try to soak those ribs. 

I've been using just a cheap tire swipe to apply my ersatz TPC (GCR).  I wash it out after and have been able to reuse it lots of times.  I usually use OPC 1:3 to clean tires, so I use that a few times, then go through a few other tire cleaners before putting the coating on.  The ribs can be tough to get clean, I've been using a scrub brush made by...if I can remember the name....S.M. Arnold.  It's pretty stiff, maybe they should sell a brush like that in the Optimum store.

I coated my tires a couple of weeks ago, I probably scrubbed them 6 or 7 times...and this was the backs, that have never even had dressing on them.  I did find when I got to the 4th wheel, that just rinsing the brush out and continuing to scrub saved me some cleaning product at the end, rather than rinsing and re-spraying every time.