Beadmaker as sacrificial layer over opticoat pro

Hi there @Yvan Lacroix

Just watched your video with Pan the Organizer on the Opticoat Pro install. 

Can you use beadmaker as a sacrificial layer over opticoat Pro or should I be sticking with something else in your lineup or just using nothing?

I did see the final step of optiseal but was wondering about maintenence and sacrificial layers and would the same go for the consumer version opticoat gloss?

As they are 2 different products would spray on sacrificial layers be the same? 

Thank you. 

Best regards Danny 

• 1 month later...

I've been using Beadmaker on my OptiCoat Pro+ coated car and it works perfectly fine. I found that it helps with water beading. I did a test and found that water beads up and falls faster on a Beadmaker section vs the non-Beadmaker section. A number of other detailers have posted videos on YouTube showing similar behavior with other ceramic coatings.

I have a customer in Florida who stays in close contact and likes to test products.  He's tried Beadmaker and says it's good but not as durable as Hyper Seal (and like me, he doesn't get the angst over "bead size" or "tightness").  For what it's worth...

3 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I have a customer in Florida who stays in close contact and likes to test products.  He's tried Beadmaker and says it's good but not as durable as Hyper Seal (and like me, he doesn't get the angst over "bead size" or "tightness").  For what it's worth...

Thanks Ron, appreciate the response.  This is the response I would have expected.  I love Hyper Seal but I love to tinker just as much 🙂

On 5/17/2019 at 7:28 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

I would be interested in understanding what he meant by durable. If he meant time between applications that would make it easier to compare given the cost differential between the products.

Peter in Florida, a long time OPT fan but experimenter with other brands, feels Beadmaker is harder to apply (takes thicker layer and requires buffing to remove haze), has equal shine/hydrophobics, but does not last as long.  He washes weekly so have no idea how he tests durability.

• 5 months later...

Just a nit, but I doubt whether Beadmaker would be a true "sacrificial layer".  It may increase slickness, or add gloss etc, but I have trouble accepting that it would form a "layer" that would be thick enough to withstand damage that did not penetrate to the paint.  Even Opticoat Pro is not a "layer" - Yvan himself said that it infuses IN to the clear - it does NOT sit on top.   Has anyone ever demonstrated a wax/sealant/coating acting as a sacrificial layer? For example - introduce a scratch, and somehow prove that the scratch was only in the product, and not the paint?

• 8 months later...