My (mostly) Optimum Day (s)

Sjbiss

Full detail of my 2012 JK, looks pretty good for a 7 year old ride.  Actually, looks better than it ever has.

1. Cleaned tires with Power Clean, took about 5 treatments of straight PC to remove all the brown using a stiff bristled brush.
  2. Manually applied 2 coats of Optimum Tire Protection Coating to all 5 tires.  35” Mickey Thompson ATZ P3’s.  Heck of an arm workout.
  3. Washed truck with ONR using Opti Clean as a pre soak.
  4. Washed with Power Clean foamed 5:1 in IK.  Agitated with wash mitt, just can’t make the leap to use the wheel and body brush on my soft black paint.
  5. Mechanical decon with Optimum Clay Mitt  using Ferrex as clay lube.
  6. Polished with Opt Compound II and finished with Meguires M210.  I just couldn’t get Polish II or Finishing Polish to work well on my paint.  M210 is impressive.
  7. Wiped down twice with Opt Paint Prep.  Really surprised and impressed by the slickness it adds.
  8. Applied Gloss Coat x 2 to the paint.  OMG application was easy.  It really is easier than a wax or even a quick detail spray for that matter.
  9. Waited 1 hour and applied Opti Seal.  Never used this before, applied just like Gloss Coat.

Too bad Optimum doesn’t make flowers for me to buy my wife, she is giving me the look given the amount of time I have spent in the garage.   All in all, very happy with every product used.  Pic attached.

IMG_0777.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Been about a month, here are my thoughts so far....Hint, I am definitely an Optimum fanboy now 🙂

Gloss coat

1. Gloss - Car looks amazing, especially when topped with Hyper Seal.  Even when dirty, the car still has great gloss.
  2. Hydrophobics - Excellent.  When washing, I pre spray with ONR using a pump sprayer and I love watching it bead and roll right off.
  3. Self cleaning - Not sure this is the best description, car still gets dirty when it rains but the dirt comes off much easier when washing.  I pre spray the car with a WORX battery pressure washer with only 150 PSI prior to my ONR wash and can tell a noticeable difference in the amount of dirt left on the paint vs pre Gloss Coat.  Used to have to clean the BGS with Power Clean after every 3rd wash because it would look like the big brown sponge.  After 4 washes with Gloss Coat, the BGS looks brand new.
  4. Scratch resistance - TDB, will pull out the detailing lights after 6 -12 mos.  I can’t see any scratches even in direct sunlight and ignorance is bliss :-).
  5. Slickness - Not super slick when you rub the back of your hand on the paint but  Opti Coat ONR and the Big Gold Sponge just glide over the surface, almost like it has been oiled.

Tire Protection & Coating

Love this product, tires look clean and dressed all the time and are super easy to clean with a simple ONR 256:1.  Had one instance where I scraped a curb and it made me question this product because I did not want to have to remove and reapply on the whole tire.  I was able to touch it up and it is not noticeable at all.  Whew!  I did 2 coats originally and am glad I did as the shine does fade a bit after a couple weeks, don't get me wrong still very glossy.  Looking to put this on my wheel wells this summer.

Opti Glass Coating

Main benefit for me is the windows stay much cleaner and bugs come off easier.  I get great hydrophobics when washing but I don’t get that benefit when driving in the rain.  I don’t think this is because of the product, I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with basically a vertical windshield, a 60lb steel Jack on the hood and a 50” light bar above the windshield.  I think these impact the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Opti Glass Clean & Protect

Cleans well, makes Glass crystal clear and doesn’t streak.  Don’t need any more than that in a glass cleaner.  Best glass cleaner I have ever used.

HyperSeal

Best drying aid I have ever used.  Super slick and it requires very little wiping. I spray the towel twice, Rag Company Double Twistress, and then the panel once.  It feels more like I’m spreading the  the product than actually drying the car and any high spots usually disappear in a couple minutes on their own.  Only complaint this the sprayer, mine leaked terribly so I replaced it.