Optimum Car Wax (OCW) Issue

lutzjs

I recently purchased a bottle of Optimum Car Wax (OCW), and Optimum Instant Detailer (OID) and I've been really impressed with both products, especially while using them as a drying aid. However while using as a stand alone product the OID has been great, while OCW has been a little difficult. The interesting thing is with OCW is I'm not getting streaks, instead what I'm getting are little spots, it sounds weird but I compare it to wax "pulp" kind of. If I look closely at the OCW bottle I even see what could be considered "pulp" like appearance on some of the sides of the bottle. 

I know that the bottle says shake well, which I've done. I also follow the rule of thumb that less is more for all of Optimum's products. Finally I also detail inside my garage, so heat should not be an issue either. I love the overall look of OCW, even went ahead and purchased a gallon refill. However I just notice its taking me a little longer do wax my vehicles with it, because these little "pulp" like splotches have to be buffed out. I have two black vehicles so the splotches start out rather dark in color, once I run over them with a microfiber the first time they change to white in color, and then I just end up having to buff it out. 

Could I have gotten a bad batch or something, or does the product need to be shaken up further? I was just curious because I have just ordered that extra gallon of OCW, so I didn't know if the gallon needed to be shaken quite well also prior to refilling the OCW bottle? 

I've never had "spots" either, though CW will streak when applied too heavily or in bright sunlight.  Sometimes the bottles will form chunks, but they always reconstitute when shaken.  You didn't mention what you wash with, is it possible the Wax is interacting with something on your paint?

I only wash with ONR (both the blue and the green), although I haven't used the Wash and Wax (green) solution since receiving my bottle of Optimum Car Wax. Chunks seems to be a pretty accurate description, and that seems to be what is happening when I spray the car wax. The crazy thing is the amount of elbow grease that it takes to then remove those chunks, which ultimately form streaks from the initial spray location. 

I have used Bead Maker as a topper, and I suppose it could be interacting negatively too that. As I said the Instant Detailer seems to work just fine. I had read that Bead Maker's longevity wasn't very long, I know you aren't able to comment on other products. But possibly it's lasted a little longer than I anticipated and is now causing some issues with the wax. 

• 10 months later...

Wow, I’m having the exact issue! Those spots are extremely difficult to remove. I called Optimum and spoke with Ron and he said they don’t have bad batches ship out as they strictly QA their product. I do believe that so I wonder if this bottle was stored/shipped from a distributor  improperly and has become defective, or if it might be reaching to something else in the environment or on my car. 
@lutzjs, did you ever figure out what was causing it with your car?

5 hours ago, A&J said:

Ive had the same issue before...I look at it as carnauba build up spots...they can get wiped off if you wipe them with a ONR wet towel

Thanks for the info, @A&J!
Any tips on preventing it in the first place? Shaking more? Just replace this batch?

ehm...I have a new bottle of OCW and I spray it on a mf applicator and spread it like I would a wax and buff off immediately. I dont have those spot issues this time...maybe this helps...I dont know

Shake the bottle and dont apply it on a hot panel...keep it cool!

Well, mystery solved. The wax is bad. I dug out a bottle that still had some in it from a previous order and it’s great as usual. Not sure if contamination was introduced during the bottling process or if it was stored/shipped improperly before I received it, but this stuff is defective. 
Opti, if you want this bottle for analysis, let me know. 
Thanks all for the help!

Its not really an issue in performence. Its just a visual thing. Lime i said a onr wet towel will remove those spots.

Another option of application is to apply it it on a onr wet panel with a onr wet mf applicator. Spray ocw on the applicator and spread it on the wetvpanel. Once you spread it wipe it dry.

• 2 months later...

I ordered a gallon, and can see what looks like milk fat on the sides of the jug. It won’t shake off. It feels like sludge, so I’m guessing it’s the carnauba. I’m thinking it got cold along the line and it fell out of suspension. I’ll leave it in the car to warm up and shake tomorrow.