Yvan Retiring?

Setec Astronomy

• 5 months later...

Diggin up this old topic to say that is very clear now that Yvan has McKees copying OPT’s ecosystem 100%—they even have a spray polish now like intensive polish. 
rinsless Wash, spray polish, clay mitts, their spray on walk away sealant in a similar style bottle, spray wax (yes I know everyone has spray wax), they sponsor his classes, and even talk about the synergy of the system.  

Just kind of funny everyone raves about how N914+the synergy products are better than ONR (which is very subjective to a certain degree) but could and probably is all just flavor of the month I need the latest and greatest mentality. 

i know healthy competition creates better products, just kind of funny how the OPT line is now being completely copied. Maybe this will push Dr.G to make even better OPT formulations 

Yvan had a big hand in developing many of opt products. He told Dr g he needed a sprayable polish, sealant that was spray on and walk away, so on and so forth. Every company has synergy...products that work together to save you time. Optimum just happens to be at the top of the list but few venture down this path because opt doesn't spend millions to market. Dr g focuses on the product being the best...but that's another topic.

Yvan is not copying opt. You can say that you can take the man out of opt but you can't take opt out of the man. 

42 minutes ago, Tug Bankert said:

Yvan is not copying opt. You can say that you can take the man out of opt but you can't take opt out of the man. 

Maybe copy is the wrong word. But it’s definitely obvious OPT developed a line based on efficiency that at this point in time hasn’t been topped in terms of the synergy of it. 

im pretty sure Dr.G developed the spray polishes with the motor vehicle plant he worked with before Yvan was on staff. But I’m not doubting he had a heavy hand in other things. 

you also simply don’t see a lot of “detailing companies” (professional lines included) opting for efficiency and minimalism because it makes more money to sell you 25 chemicals to clean a car inside and out. 

27 minutes ago, stephen.details said:

you also simply don’t see a lot of “detailing companies” (professional lines included) opting for efficiency and minimalism because it makes more money to sell you 25 chemicals to clean a car inside and out. 

I agree. Many of these product companies are making products that "make" people "want" to buy them. They have 3 waxes and 6 polishes and one product that could do 3 things but make 3 different ones. That's why opt is king. They don't make something just to make it to "sell" an idea instead of what works and makes you efficient 

1 hour ago, Tug Bankert said:

I agree. Many of these product companies are making products that "make" people "want" to buy them. They have 3 waxes and 6 polishes and one product that could do 3 things but make 3 different ones. That's why opt is king. They don't make something just to make it to "sell" an idea instead of what works and makes you efficient 

Amen to that. Like why do you need 7 different polishes (not exaggerating with certain lines), 3-5 APCs, and waaaay too many buzz word ceramic sprays. Back to Yvan, I agree 100% with his philosophy on paint correction. You don’t need different products for every type of car. Pick one good polish, one compound, and maybe one AIO—then find one pad for each product you like and master it.

yep, it’s all marketing and clever  wording to get people to think they need products they don’t. When I’m cleaning a customers car I can clean just  about everything with 2-3 chemicals from optimum and whatever LSP and dressing I opt for. but you see how OPT isn’t in the lime light because they’re not dropping repeat products every month like others do. 

why do I need 3 types of spray wax again? 😒

19 minutes ago, stephen.details said:

Amen to that. Like why do you need 7 different polishes (not exaggerating with certain lines), 3-5 APCs, and waaaay too many buzz word ceramic sprays. Back to Yvan, I agree 100% with his philosophy on paint correction. You don’t need different products for every type of car. Pick one good polish, one compound, and maybe one AIO—then find one pad for each product you like and master it.

yep, it’s all marketing and clever  wording to get people to think they need products they don’t. 

These companies are smart. They know exactly how to present it to make you drool over it. Even though I'm 100% opt I may see something and say....oooooooh, I like that, let me try it. Then I snap too and slap myself because I want it because it looks pretty. 

the development of spray compounds/polishes was prior to Yvan's engagement with OPT, but he was a beta tester (along with others).  He was involved with creating a more aggressive Hyper Compound.  I'm not sure where the "synergy" pitch came from, but Yvan really promoted it on youtube.  There are really very few totally new concepts, but Optimum has had more than it's share.

I remember Dr. G developing the Spray Polish line due to problems they were experiencing at the Corvette plant with traditional polishes.

Yvan has been, and still is, an awesome attribute to the detailing community. I, for one, have benefited HUGELY from his contributions and am incredibly grateful to him. I genuinly wouldn't have been able to detail professionally without him (as for OPT for that matter).

I'm actually at the point where most other brands are irritating me with all the different products. Why do I need a different APC for interior/bugs/tires/general? Even if it performs marginally better, it's just a big headache.

That being said, I would like to see OPT becoming 'sexier'. I would love nothing more than having average joe washing his own car again on the weekends instead of going through the carwash every other solar eclipse. With ONR being the quickest, easiest, cheapest and best way. Changing the colours of most of the chemicals and transparent bottles were definitely steps in the right direction!

7 minutes ago, Heijneker said:

I'm actually at the point where most other brands are irritating me with all the different products. Why do I need a different APC for interior/bugs/tires/general? Even if it performs marginally better, it's just a big headache.

I was just watching Yvan on McKees 37 YouTube video with Nick Rutter. Nick mentioned that they have 4 tire dressings. I just don't get having 4 dressings. From a consumer standpoint I guess if 1 product doesn't catch someone than the other one will. Nick also mentioned the reason for multiple products is to keep things fresh and keep people interested. He said, companies that have only 1 product makes boring videos because you can't make a different video talking about a different product...it's the same boring thing. 

Who cares about YouTube videos? Us pros watch them for entertainment not education. We learn hands on talking to other pros. I won't be a better detailer because I have 4 tire shines.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:38 AM, stephen.details said:

Diggin up this old topic to say that is very clear now that Yvan has McKees copying OPT’s ecosystem 100%—they even have a spray polish now like intensive polish. 
rinsless Wash, spray polish, clay mitts, their spray on walk away sealant in a similar style bottle, spray wax (yes I know everyone has spray wax), they sponsor his classes, and even talk about the synergy of the system.  

Just kind of funny everyone raves about how N914+the synergy products are better than ONR (which is very subjective to a certain degree) but could and probably is all just flavor of the month I need the latest and greatest mentality. 

i know healthy competition creates better products, just kind of funny how the OPT line is now being completely copied. Maybe this will push Dr.G to make even better OPT formulations 

There is a glaring difference, and that is Dr. G. 

It's one thing to have a blender build a product, and quite another to be the chemist himself. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

As far a Yvan goes... He's was a catalyst as to why I'm here - even after his retirement from the company.  His advice has paid significant dividends in my process. Eternal gratitude for that. 

On 2/22/2022 at 12:16 PM, Tug Bankert said:

These companies are smart. They know exactly how to present it to make you drool over it. Even though I'm 100% opt I may see something and say....oooooooh, I like that, let me try it. Then I snap too and slap myself because I want it because it looks pretty. 

That's how I ended up with multiple lines of polishes. I ended up selling several of them on ebay at a drastic loss. Painful lesson to learn about consumerism. 

As of now the only non Opti things that are staying are the selection of 3D polishes. I have a quick and efficient procedure when using them. And at work it's all I usually use. Oh, and I'm keeping my Meguiar's stuff for nostalgia's sake. My best friend from 5th grade to today, we started using Megs in 1996, and I'll still use it on his vehicles. His mom's car has Gloss Coat on it though!