Where does MDR fall in a coating prep workflow?

paulgyro

Let's keep it simple. If your coating has not cured yet.i would wait the full 30 before washing, but you certainly can wash after the 7 days. Wash with opti coat no rinse and that's all you need. If you are doing a coating decontamination which is usually recommended once a year depending on many things. If no salt is present you may not need mdr. By the way, 4 ounces of mdr, half ounce of onr in a gallon of water is the proper dilution for salt removal. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes, agitate lightly with body brush, rinse. This is, of course after ocnr wash. There are several different ways to decon a coating if no salt. 1. Power clean straight only. 2. Ocnr wash then clay wax and clay mit. Those are just 2 examples.

Thnx for info.   So at 8 days ONR will be ok provided I'm gentle with its application?    Also, when Opti-Pro+ has cured, I'm puzzled why an ONR wash is recommended before the MDR wash - wouldn't the MDR wash be sufficient before (if desired) remaining decon steps?  

At winter's end  and after Opti-Pro+ has cured, I'll  do the decon routine and use Hyperseal to prep vehicle for summer - fall months.

Yes, after day 7 you can wash with onr and red or black sponge. 

Onr would be first so you can remove/encapsulate dirt so as to prevent possible scratches. Mdr is not a wash solution and not to be used as onr replacement. 

The decon routine does not need to be done frequently unless you live next to rail tracks or is parked at construction sites all the time. It could be every 6 months or every year or every 5 years. It depends on conditions. 

You can use hyperseal every few months if you like but you certainly don't have to. 

30 minutes ago, Mr.Outback said:

Thnx for info.   So at 8 days ONR will be ok provided I'm gentle with its application?    Also, when Opti-Pro+ has cured, I'm puzzled why an ONR wash is recommended before the MDR wash - wouldn't the MDR wash be sufficient before (if desired) remaining decon steps?  

At winter's end  and after Opti-Pro+ has cured, I'll  do the decon routine and use Hyperseal to prep vehicle for summer - fall months.

MDR isn't a wash, it's a mineral remover primarily. The car needs to be clean prior to using MDR.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Outback said:

Thnx.  Oops....I actually meant using Power Clean as first wash  of decon process (MDR would come after ferrex).  If I didn't have Power Clean I would certainly use ONR first.

Power Clean is basically an all purpose clean, which in this case could be used as a pre-wash. That is apply it, let it dwell, then rinse, when follow up with ONR.  I'd only do this on very soiled vehicles.   I wouldn't use it for a contact wash, no enough lubrication as that's not it's intended purpose.   For that I'd use ONR and Optimum Car Wash.  Just me 2 cents.