Using other brands to Prep for Gloss Coat

mr_robot

Hi all, long time lurker and just signed up as I couldn't find an answer to what I'm looking for.

I want to try Gloss-Coat but have a question about using other brands to prep the paint.

Can I use other brands to correct the paint and do final wipe down?  I want to use products I already own.

Griots BOSS Correcting Cream to correct the paint and Giots Paint Prep to wipe away any residue oils and waxes before applying Gloss Coat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:54 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

I can't answer for other brands, but do know many use oils to fill that affect ceramic bonding.  if you use Griots, make sure to THOROUGHLY wipe any residue. 

Thanks, I plan on using Griots BOSS Fast Correcting Cream, it doesn’t contain any fillers or silicones but I plan to to a wipe down afterwards anyways.

It might be a good idea to ask around at Griots on how well their Paint Prep  works and if it really does remove all of the BOSS Fast Correcting Cream . In all likelihood they will just say yes 😄 but ask them if the paint prep is specially formulated to remove their polishes and if its been tested and proven.

From my personal experience Optimum is the only coating company that I have encountered that stated if the coating fails prematurely or has poor performance then it was the fault of the user for not using Optimum products (polishes, prep wipe, etc).  So just be aware of this if you do have issues with the coatings performance.  

guz I think thats the case with any LSP if you mix and match manufacturers...OPT are just saying it loud because they can not guarantee durability if you use other polishes which may or may not contain fillers. OPT is certain their polishes do not contain fillers thats why whey recommend to stick within the manufacturer line. I always suggest that too...for instance some people polish with Menzerna but use Gyeon prep afterwards. Who is to say that all the polish has been removed. You cant be 100% sure!!!

I get that but besides optimum I have used other coatings from various manufactures ranging from cquartz, gtechniq, 22ple, adams, shine supply, gyeon.  I may have missed a few more but Optimum is the only one to have stated this.  Take 22ple for example as they don't even have any polishes in their line up, excluding their primer polish that is deemed optional.  They don't come back and state one must use their polish products if the coating has low performance.  I have not heard the others I listed state this either.  If anything it comes down to the application of the coating itself where user error comes into play.  

To be fair, Guz, the other coatings you mentioned are different chemistry (and that's not marketing hype).  Bad applications happen and are not always due to prep error or using different manufacturers polishes/preps.  And I don't have to tell you there's great differences in clear coats/paints and inconsistencies exist in applications.  I've been involved with Optimum ceramic coatings since the original (when we begged installers to try it), and the vast majority of poor performances are due prep errors - using polishes with oil fillers,  not decontaminating thoroughly, using too much/too little product, etc.  Second are maintenance (what do you mean I can't take my car through a touch car wash?), and unreal expectations (I spent this much money and my car should be bullet proof...).

Optimum has a high standard on one of the only true permanent coatings. It's like painting a car. The prep must be done in a specific way using specific products. If skipped, the coating will not perform properly or hold up long term. I believe the other coatings don't say, use our products, because most are not permanent nor perform as well as pro and plus.

Just going to put my 2 cents in 

I have used gloss coat twice on the same car  first time I used another brand of polish  auto glym polish  I believe and wiped it down with some alcohol  product .  The next time I used all optimums products compound   and  polish and there paint prep  big difference  less highspots and I was able to  put it on thicker no issues  the gloss was better and the water just fell of the car . If your going to do all this work why take the chance that it might not come out right?

• 9 months later...

My thoughts after several months:

First attempt I did the following:

1. Wash the car with ONR

2. Iron removal with Eagle One Plastidip Wheel Cleaner

3. Used Power Clean & Mothers Clay Bar 

4. Used Griots BOSS Fast Correction Compound 

5. Another rinse/wash with ONR

6. Final wipe down with Griots Paint Prep

7. Applied Gloss Coat but was very grabby, not fun at all and wasted a lot of product as it just felt it wasn’t spreading evenly.

8.  After a week of curing, I washed it using Power Clean and another final rinse with ONR.

9.  This time I used Optimum’s Paint Prep and the application was so much smoother and easier.  Not sure if this was due to the first layer of GC or the Paint prep from Opt 

So far everything is still holding up and beading water like crazy.  Also so easy to clean with ONR.

I do use Turtlewax Hybrid Ceramic Wet Wax as a drying aid though....