A coupe of last points.  Troy and others are certainly capable of using Pro products correctly, but many are not - they will not prep properly, apply correctly, wait the necessary cure time or mistreat the coatings after and feel no compunction about going on social media and blaming the manufacturer.  And there's no way we have time to "interview" every DYI person to determine their experience, so we chose discretion over valor.  Secondly, Optimum stands behind the warranty - we supply the product if recoating is necessary and have paid installers when the original has quit (or been fired for poor performance), even refunded money, so while rare, there is a financial risk along with our reputation.  Finally the idea that other industries don't protect or limit access to pro products is bunk.  I've tried and failed to duplicate the results from lawn care and pest control companies, only be be told I can't buy the stuff they use. 

I will openly admit I don't always agree with Dr G's decisions on products and marketing, but I've never known him to chose profit over quality, service, or what he thinks is the right thing to do.  And my eyes crossed over the green font as well...

21 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

A coupe of last points.  Troy and others are certainly capable of using Pro products correctly, but many are not - they will not prep properly, apply correctly, wait the necessary cure time or mistreat the coatings after and feel no compunction about going on social media and blaming the manufacturer.  And there's no way we have time to "interview" every DYI person to determine their experience, so we chose discretion over valor.  Secondly, Optimum stands behind the warranty - we supply the product if recoating is necessary and have paid installers when the original has quit (or been fired for poor performance), even refunded money, so while rare, there is a financial risk along with our reputation.  Finally the idea that other industries don't protect or limit access to pro products is bunk.  I've tried and failed to duplicate the results from lawn care and pest control companies, only be be told I can't buy the stuff they use. 

I will openly admit I don't always agree with Dr G's decisions on products and marketing, but I've never known him to chose profit over quality, service, or what he thinks is the right thing to do.  And my eyes crossed over the green font as well...

On the lawn care and pest control point, often times you "can't buy the stuff they use" because they are using their own branded and blended products. There are a few small exceptions for products that require a license to purchase but for the most part, there's absolutely nothing special about those "proprietary blends" of grass seed, fertilizer, herbicides, etc. You could easily source all the ingredients yourself and put down a comparable "blend" of products that does the exact thing as the stuff you can't buy.  There's actually an entire industry built around the DIY lawn care enthusiast who wants professional products. 

To relate it back to coatings, you can think of your OTC Weed-B-Gon and Scott's type products in lawn care as the consumer grade coatings (Gloss Coat, CQuartz, CSL, etc.). They are "watered down" in a way so just about anybody can apply them without compromising some level of quality, but don't last as long or aren't as potent or don't cover as much as the pro product. But there's an entire group of people out there who want that pro level product without having to pay a professional company to do it for them.

I'm not trying to convince anyone at OPT that this is the way you have to do things, but I definitely think there is a market out there for it and you don't have to sacrifice quality or profit to do it.