OC 3

I can promise you that beading is one of the last things Dr G looks at and is really just a byproduct of the characteristics he is concerned about.  Tug and I have both commented on the obsession some have with beading - the amount, the size, how quickly they disperse.  I get that beading is one of the easiest observable factors, but the cheapest wax on the shelf will create beads.  The qualities Dr G is looking for, in no particular order, are durability, hardness, chemical resistance, appearance, ease of application, value, etc.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2021 at 9:17 PM, KIS76@ said:

Are products being designed today around "beading"?   It appears that way. 

Products are not being designed around beading. YouTube part time detailers are the ones focused on beading. If pro detailing is your only income most people tend to have a much better perspective on coating performance and ease of clean than those getting paid by YouTube to have fun with water beads. 

Rarely mentioned on detailer channels is beading actually concentrate mineral/dirt deposits into little "spots", and it's a major contributor to  water spotting (my past cars proved that point after sprinkler shower "rashes") .  Still, many coating testers use beading to determine coating durability (no beading? >  coating's dead).

The coating tester I've seen on Youtube that seems most thorough is Scott HD, and he usually pronounces a coating "dead" once it stops beading and sheeting (in effect, behaves the same as water on clear-coated paint).  Many other Youtubers declare a coating "dead" or dying once it resorts to sheeting.

My OptiCoat Pro+ goes from beading to sheeting in the areas where road debris frequently deposit themselves on the coating.  My understanding is if that happens, it's time for a maintenance wash (usually ONR,  but about every 4 months M-Wash or (rarely) Power-Clean followed by rinse/ONR w/ distilled water/micro-fiber dry/Hyper-Seal.).

Beading has to do with surface tension and not a coating being dead. Surface tension can go from beading to sheeting because there is dirt in the way. Dirt from the road is sticky. Tar and salt adhere even to a coating. Not as hard to remove. The cleaner you keep the coating the better it performs. An onr wash once a month and a decon once a year is sufficient

• 2 months later...

Seems good place to mention Allstate's now pushing Scotchguard "amino based resin" paint protection.  My Subaru dealer claimed it was the best coating they've worked with (their first "ceramic coating" package was a joke to my Optimum installer, who replaced it with Pro+).  I've not heard of amino based resin paint protection and have no idea if it's truly better than the SIC or top SIO2 products - no, I'm not having it installed, "my" Pro+ is at its 1 year anniversary and so far works fine.

• 2 months later...

Scott HD's testing continues and he is seeing differences between Pro+ and Pro3 (visual suggests Pro3 reverts to sheeting more than Pro+). 

Scott's test is to foam, rinse, foam, wash with sheepswool mitt, then rinse (all with pressure washer), then pressure wash test for beading.  If test panel doesn't reject water (either bead or sheet roll off) product's dismissed as failed.  No Optimum product has failed.

I think Scott reported that Pro+ was "very hydrophobic" and Pro3 showed "some wear".  Dr G suggests that Pro+ will bead better, but Pro3 (what we call OC3) sheets water and will be much more durable.  For such an in depth test, Scott's comments per product are limited, repetitive...and impossible to quantify.  Optimum has always admitted that there's a tradeoff between beading/sheeting, gloss, slickness, and durability - sometimes the chemistry to increase one diminishes another.  It's impossible to please everyone, so niches are created so customers can find the product that most pleases them. 

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I think Scott reported that Pro+ was "very hydrophobic" and Pro3 showed "some wear".  Dr G suggests that Pro+ will bead better, but Pro3 (what we call OC3) sheets water and will be much more durable.  For such an in depth test, Scott's comments per product are limited, repetitive...and impossible to quantify.  Optimum has always admitted that there's a tradeoff between beading/sheeting, gloss, slickness, and durability - sometimes the chemistry to increase one diminishes another.  It's impossible to please everyone, so niches are created so customers can find the product that most pleases them. 

Info appreciated, Ron.  My most likely last car (am getting on in years) will probably be getting OC3 as I want it to have the most durable protection possible.  My understanding is OC3 doesn't need a long wait time after being applied to "drive home" in inclement weather (a factor here in the NW) as my local detailer who does Pro+ is not an "exclusive" Optimum dealer and most likely won't be able to install OC3.