New member, questions about Opticoat

Shine&wax

Hello everyone

I recently bought a 4 year old car and I am considering applying Opticoat. I previously had Opticoat on a previous vehicle and I can personally attest to how less dirty it would get between washes, how easier it was to wash, how good it looked, and how hydrophobic it was.

What's holding me back right now is that the Opticoat prices rose significantly since the last time I had it (I applied Opticoat about 8 years ago) and also that the car is 4 years old.  

My current routine right now is weekly wash with ONR and Optimum Spray Wax. My car sits outside in the open sun and does get bird droppings between washes. It does have a few light scratches, the front bumper has its share of rock chips, and maybe 2 or 3 of these chip rocks exposing bare metal. Overall the paint looks good from a distance and I am happy the way it looks.

My questions to the forum:

1) If I choose to apply Opticoat, will I only need to wash with ONR for the rest of the car's lifetime? Or would Optimum Spray Wax on top of the Opticoat also be a good idea?

2) If I choose NOT to apply Opticoat and continue with my weekly wash routine, will my current routine  do a good job in maintenance for the rest of the car's lifetime?

Welcome to the Optimum Forum.  The Opti-Coat you applied 8 years ago has been reformulated, improved, and is now called Gloss-Coat (Opti-Coat Pro is sold only to professional installers).  Gloss-Coat is an easy to install ceramic coating with 2 - 3 year durability.  Washing with ONR is the recommended maintenance, but applying Spray Wax will add gloss and longevity.

Regular washing and Wax can protect your car from UV, but a ceramic will help with the bird droppings, adding chemical resistance.

Thanks! I have a few more questions.

If I decide to get Opticoat Pro by a professional installer, can I still apply Optimum Spray Wax after washing with ONR for my maintenance? How does the Optimum Spray Wax interact with the Opticoat Pro coating? Do the UV absobrbers from the Spray Wax sit on top of the ceramic or do they permeate into the coating and clear coat?

Yes, Spray Wax can be applied over Opti-Coat Pro - all waxes stay on the surface and Optimum provides additional UV protection to the ceramic coating.  As a recommendation, consider Opti-Coat Hyper Seal instead of wax - it's formulated for superior performance on ceramics and has much greater durability.

• 5 months later...

I installed Opti-Coat Pro on my car. I have a few additional questions. Thanks!

1) Does Hyper Seal have UV inhibitors? The Optimum website product description does not say anything about UV protection.

2) Since my car sits out in the sun, is OCW the best choice for me to use as a drying aid for the biweekly wash? I planned on using Hyper Seal as my drying aid but if Hyper Seal has no UV inhibitor then OCW is probably the best drying aid for me. Could I maybe apply Hyper Seal as a drying aid once every few washes? How often could I apply Hyper Seal in my situation?

3) On the wash days I do use Hyper Seal as a drying aid, should I not use OCW that day? Or do I apply one after the other?

4) I understand carnauba is a natural product and degrades naturally. What happens to any OCW that's left on the surface when I wash with ONR? Does the wash get rid of the wax? I'm curious of any effect of wax on top of wax or if there's nothing to worry about.

Yes, Hyper Seal contains UV inhibitors and is equal to Spray Wax in that respect.  You can apply both Wax or Hyper Seal together, alternate, or use singularly for best protection (and in any order).  Both products may be used as often as you want, though both can last for months.  ONR does not remove either Wax or HS, though frequent washing will reduce the products naturally over time.  There is no negative to layering products and no buildup. 

On 12/28/2020 at 3:30 AM, Shine&wax said:

I installed Opti-Coat Pro on my car. I have a few additional questions. Thanks!

1) Does Hyper Seal have UV inhibitors? The Optimum website product description does not say anything about UV protection.

2) Since my car sits out in the sun, is OCW the best choice for me to use as a drying aid for the biweekly wash? I planned on using Hyper Seal as my drying aid but if Hyper Seal has no UV inhibitor then OCW is probably the best drying aid for me. Could I maybe apply Hyper Seal as a drying aid once every few washes? How often could I apply Hyper Seal in my situation?

3) On the wash days I do use Hyper Seal as a drying aid, should I not use OCW that day? Or do I apply one after the other?

4) I understand carnauba is a natural product and degrades naturally. What happens to any OCW that's left on the surface when I wash with ONR? Does the wash get rid of the wax? I'm curious of any effect of wax on top of wax or if there's nothing to worry about.

Hi shine and wax 

I have been using optimum products for about 4 years now.

My car is gloss coated ( did it my self was easy )  this summer I  have been flipfloping back and forth  with optimums  wax and hyperseal  never a had any problem . Hyperseal  is the more durable option in my opinion  and gives a more mirror  like shine but I like the look of the wax a more wet look.  Gloss coat with hyperseal  and wax is more than enough  protection for me.  My car  is a 2008  paint looks great.  Hope this helps