Ron@Optimum

Opti-Coat Pro3

2 hours ago, Tug Bankert said:

Hopefully your local opti coat installer offers pro 3. There is no market too small. You are right, pro plus will last for years and is an incredible coating.

Unfortunately our local detailer (Out of fairness I won't name him nor location) is not exclusively OptiPro as he offers several coatings for different client needs (he does everything from "tuners" to giant trucks).  When  offered OptiPro+ or a Graphene Pro coating, I didn't really see how a 1 atom thick Graphene enhancement would do much and that product's warranty was less than OptiCoat Pro+.  The consumer graphene coatings I earlier tried didn't live up to their hype.

Thats interesting because with opti, installers are suppose to be exclusive. Pro + is superior to other coatings so you made the right choice. "Graphene" coatings aren't really graphene anyway and are generally consumer grade. 

16 hours ago, Tug Bankert said:

Thats interesting because with opti, installers are suppose to be exclusive. Pro + is superior to other coatings so you made the right choice. "Graphene" coatings aren't really graphene anyway and are generally consumer grade. 

Am hopeful that will be true.  I would have gotten Pro3 if offered in our area but it was not.  So far Pro+ 's  superior to the dealer's badly applied Crystal Fusion or any of the hyped 3rd party graphene products I've tried.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mr.Outback said:

Just curious......   given that pro coatings require polishing a vehicle to remove whatever previous coating was/is there,  how many times __can__ a vehicle be polished before clearcoat and paint start being totally removed ?  I remember reading that to apply OptiCoat3, one must remove 2 - 3 microns from existing finish to insure proper bonding.  Considering the clearcoat itself is only 2 or so microns thick...

You're mixing your units...clearcoat is generally  2 mils...which is about 50 microns, although anecdotally new cars today seem to be a bit thinner than 2 mils. I think the general rule of thumb was 1 mil of e-coat, 1-2 mils of primer,  1-2 mils of color, and 2 mils of clear, so you would wind up with 5-7 mils total depending on where you measured on the car.

2 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

You're mixing your units...clearcoat is generally  2 mils...which is about 50 microns, although anecdotally new cars today seem to be a bit thinner than 2 mils. I think the general rule of thumb was 1 mil of e-coat, 1-2 mils of primer,  1-2 mils of color, and 2 mils of clear, so you would wind up with 5-7 mils total depending on where you measured on the car.

Thnx for clarification !