Opti-Coat Pro3

Ron@Optimum

2 hours ago, Tug Bankert said:

Hopefully your local opti coat installer offers pro 3. There is no market too small. You are right, pro plus will last for years and is an incredible coating.

Unfortunately our local detailer (Out of fairness I won't name him nor location) is not exclusively OptiPro as he offers several coatings for different client needs (he does everything from "tuners" to giant trucks).  When  offered OptiPro+ or a Graphene Pro coating, I didn't really see how a 1 atom thick Graphene enhancement would do much and that product's warranty was less than OptiCoat Pro+.  The consumer graphene coatings I earlier tried didn't live up to their hype.

16 hours ago, Tug Bankert said:

Thats interesting because with opti, installers are suppose to be exclusive. Pro + is superior to other coatings so you made the right choice. "Graphene" coatings aren't really graphene anyway and are generally consumer grade. 

Am hopeful that will be true.  I would have gotten Pro3 if offered in our area but it was not.  So far Pro+ 's  superior to the dealer's badly applied Crystal Fusion or any of the hyped 3rd party graphene products I've tried.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mr.Outback said:

Just curious......   given that pro coatings require polishing a vehicle to remove whatever previous coating was/is there,  how many times __can__ a vehicle be polished before clearcoat and paint start being totally removed ?  I remember reading that to apply OptiCoat3, one must remove 2 - 3 microns from existing finish to insure proper bonding.  Considering the clearcoat itself is only 2 or so microns thick...

You're mixing your units...clearcoat is generally  2 mils...which is about 50 microns, although anecdotally new cars today seem to be a bit thinner than 2 mils. I think the general rule of thumb was 1 mil of e-coat, 1-2 mils of primer,  1-2 mils of color, and 2 mils of clear, so you would wind up with 5-7 mils total depending on where you measured on the car.

2 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

You're mixing your units...clearcoat is generally  2 mils...which is about 50 microns, although anecdotally new cars today seem to be a bit thinner than 2 mils. I think the general rule of thumb was 1 mil of e-coat, 1-2 mils of primer,  1-2 mils of color, and 2 mils of clear, so you would wind up with 5-7 mils total depending on where you measured on the car.

Thnx for clarification !

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, Mr.Outback said:

Considering the clearcoat itself is only 2 or so microns thick, it seem a vehicle owner only has a limited number of "tries" at getting a coating properly applied. 

Clearcoat is generally 1.5 to 2 mils thick, not microns. These are often confused. A mil is a thousandth of an inch and a micron is a millionth of a meter (thousandth of a milimeter). 1.5 to 2 mils is about 35 to 50 microns. Also it's not necessary to remove 2 microns before application, but 1 or 2 microns might be removed when doing a once-over polish with something like hyper polish. Hope that helps! I just heard about Opti-Coat 3 and am excited to try some out for my clients.

1 hour ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Only OC3 requires that the installer be an exclusive Opti-Coat Pro installer, all other OPT ceramics are available to detailers that offer other coatings.

which is why I could not get it as my community, 45000 people, is not large enough to support an exclusive single product detailer.  And since a quality coating like Pro3 apparently needs an entire night to cure inside a protective garage (at least per youtube and my detailer's info), getting it installed would be a major undertaking.  Perhaps future will change things but for now Pro+ 's my car's coating.

Mr. Outback,

I live in a town of 15,000 and I sell about 1 pro3 a month on top of pro and pro plus. It has nothing to do with how many people in a city. The detailer in your community has the responsibility to market his services. That will determine how many installs he sells. Pro3 just like all opti coat coatings need 12 hours to cure before getting rained on, etc. Pro3 is no more of an undertaking than pro+. On a side note, pro+ is capable of lasting the life of your factory clear Coat without regret that you so not have 3 installed. 

Fun fact, I don't know why detailers don't advertise instead of trying to sell different coating brands. You won't hook people based on the brand. If they would just offer a solution to a problem they would eventually see a steady sale and increase in coatings. 😁

Actually, our local detailer, in business for 20 years, carries a number of brands in part due to his varied clientele (everything from boy racers to our commonplace lifted trucks). I know of no "exclusive" detailer in our area (I'm tempted but lack the facilities for proper detailing).  Perhaps the various Youtube and other social media channels hyping the detailing product of the week (minute ?) makes customers more fickle than for other products/services.  I do keep tabs on Yvan's Detailer Academy youtube channel as he offers some very sage advice on car care, detailing and business practices.

• 3 months later...

I do hope they open pro3 to non exclusive detailers or it’ll be hard to find a place to install. My search for pro 3 authorized places show few and very far away ones making it impractical to get. 

Also, there seems to be very little info on pro3 given it’s been out for over half a year already. Not hearing much about it at all.  No gloss comparisons, hydrophobics comparisons, scratch resistance comparisons, no durability tests. There pretty much is no real world user info at all on the internet. I’m not sure how easy it is to sell a $3k coating job over a $1299 one with so little differentiating information out there.  

It might be beneficial for some of the authorized installers to put some side by side test panels against pro and pro plus to see how much improvement there really is.  Might help get some more people discussing it. At that cost level it really needs a showcase of why it’s worth it. 

5 hours ago, bcwang said:

It might be beneficial for some of the authorized installers to put some side by side test panels against pro and pro plus to see how much improvement there really is.  Might help get some more people discussing it. At that cost level it really needs a showcase of why it’s worth it. 

Youtube has a number of detailers testing different products (either real world or on test panels).  Save for Chicago Auto Pros who compared Opti-Seal (ignoring, for some  reason, Hyper-Seal), none of 'em are testing/have tested Opti Pro products against others.  Pan the Organizer did showcase Yvan applying Opti Pro+ to one of his vehicles and showing good results 1 year later, but with no direct comparison to other products.

It's up to the installer to educate their customers directly. I have a few videos on opti but I won't do comparisons. It's just not in my wheel house. Furthermore, rolls Royse never allows their cars to be tested against any others due to the reason that, quote, "they are rolls Royce". If an opti installer would like to do a comparison, go ahead, it's perfectly fine. I feel that no other coating compares to the length of opti coatings. Therefore, like rolls, I already know nothing else compares so why bother doing a test. It would be difficult to do testing because everyone wants to do the torture tests and not a length test. The true comparison would be years of nature's effects and not spraying an apc and then rinsing it off.