Opti-seal v hyperseal v instant detailer

AMDG75

Dumb question: how do these products differ?

Have been addicted to ONR for years, particularly as I can wash cars in unheated garage throughout northern Ohio winters.

Have been satisfied with using the instant detailer, but wondering if any advantage to using the other products. Have read comments that all have been used as drying agents, and perhaps opti-seal lasts longer.  

Follow up question: which is easiest to use in cooler weather. I can wash the cars with ONR around 32 degrees, however below 40 degrees, there is some streaking that takes more effort to dry/buff out.

Thanks.

both Opti-Seal and Hyper Seal are true sealants (not cleaner like Instant Detailer) - both work on all paints but Hyper Seal is formulated for greater durability on ceramic coatings.  There is some thought that Hyper Seal has greater gloss and slickness, but that's opinion and hard to verify.  I doubt there's any performance difference in colder temps. 

Instant Detailer is mild cleaner (suitable for light dust) with Gloss Enhancer. No real lasting protection ability with this product. At lower temperatures, the gloss enhancer component is probably the cause of some the streaking requiring follow up wipe.  Opti-Coat No Rinse (yellow pro ONR) includes the same gloss enhancer which I found would ocaissionaly streak on first dry wipe at cold temperatures (especially when using additional drying aid).

Opti-Seal is a polymer based sealant which has a nominal life of 3 months when applied dry (probably 1 month when applied as drying aid). I found virtually no streaking when using this as drying aid at cold temperatures.  Because it is polymer based sealant it can be used on interior surfaces without issues.  Using ONR with small spray of Opti-Seal on windows is the ultimate streak free window cleaner (both inside and outside).

Hyper Seal is a SiO2 based sealant which has a nominal life of 6 months when applied dry (probably 2-3 months when applied as drying aid).  This product has tendency to streak like the Gloss Enhancer especially at colder temperatures.  First time I used Hyper Seal as drying aid with OCNR (yellow ONR), it streaked really bad that I had to go over areas at least 3-4 times.   Since it is a SiO2 based product, I would not recommend using on interior surfaces like Opti-Seal.  Slickness and gloss is slightly better than Opti-Seal but user experience is not as good (especially in colder temps).  I personally currently use Hyper Seal as my drying aid but I am trying to maintain my ceramic coating.  Once it is all gone, I will probably use a different SiO2 based spray that is less prone to streaking.  For a non-ceramic coated vehicle, Opti-Seal is probably a better option.

I would switch to Opti-Seal as your drying aid and go back over with light application (to reduce potential of streaking) of Instant Detailer after it is dry to boost gloss.  

Appreciate info, Ron and Detail Mutant.

Follow up: will either --Seal product 'gunk up' microfibers? Over the years, trying a few different towels, seems that the waffle weave are the most versatile, but even after soaking/using vinegar rinse/wash, it feels like the towels still have product in them. I should probably keep rags for separate projects; what do you use to apply the -- Seal products. Thanks.

I've never had wax or seal "gunk" up my towels, but for Opt-Seal I use the included applicator sponge. Towels and sponges clean up well in hot water and dish detergent (or for towels, with normal laundry detergent).  I know there are microfiber cleaning products and some recommend adding a cup of Power Clean to washing machines.  I've never tried either and feel my towels get clean.  In truth though (and understanding I'm gifted with lots of towels) I follow a hierarchy - I have new/almost new towels, medium quality towels, and "shop towels".  Well used microfibers that have lost their absorbancy become tire/wheel or other rough duty towels. 

FYI, for Hyper Seal/Opti-Seal when used as drying aid, I use a quality drying towel.  Again, have never had a problem with the towels after.

@Detail MutantCould you elaborate how you clean interior glass with ONR and a small spray of Opti-Seal? I would LOVE to know!

3 month lifespan from Opti-Seal? That's the first time I heard that short of a lifespan and from my very limited knowledge it does outlast that.

For example; I Opti-Sealed a neglected Dacia Logan somewhere in July, with the foam applicator. Application sure wasn't ideal. Since then it has covered loads of miles, and has only been cleaned maybe three times, using ONR and no Wax or (Opti-)Seal

I'm 99%  sure it still has Opti-Seal on there. Last clean was December 26th, and it still beads water, on most panels.

I have no experience with Hyper-Seal or Gloss enhancer, but Opti-Seal works amazing for me; costs pennies per car and is amazingly easy to use and versatile.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:20 PM, Heijneker said:

Could you elaborate how you clean interior glass with ONR and a small spray of Opti-Seal? I would LOVE to know!

I typical use a ONR (at standard 256:1 dilution) dampened (not dripping wet like on painted surfaces) microfiber towel to initially wipe the glass surface and while it is still wet apply a half pump of Opti Seal for 2-3 sq ft area (one half pump for typical side window,  one full pump for typical front windshield).  I follow with drying the glass surface with a dry microfiber towel (prefer waffle weave for glass as it removes more residue in my experience).  So effectively using Opti-Seal as drying aid but use sparingly.  I find the Opti-Seal removes removes more residue that ONR alone and thus less streaks in single drying wipe.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:20 PM, Heijneker said:

For example; I Opti-Sealed a neglected Dacia Logan somewhere in July, with the foam applicator. Application sure wasn't ideal. Since then it has covered loads of miles, and has only been cleaned maybe three times, using ONR and no Wax or (Opti-)Seal

I'm 99%  sure it still has Opti-Seal on there. Last clean was December 26th, and it still beads water, on most panels.

I have no experience with Hyper-Seal or Gloss enhancer, but Opti-Seal works amazing for me; costs pennies per car and is amazingly easy to use and versatile.

Opti-Seal is rated for six months but real world conditions(especially Canadian winters with road salt) are typically 50% of rated due to the chemical exposure.  Exception to this are ceramic coatings due to their high chemical resistance which is the main reason for applying a ceramic coating.  The polymers from the ONR washes maybe providing the beading you are seeing and not the original application of Opti-Seal.  Have to choose your wash solution carefully to ensure nothing is left behind for such a test.

• 2 weeks later...

Very helpful info!  Am curious, though, about the Optimum Spray Wax .vs. Opti-seal and Opti Hyperseal. 

What advantages does the spray wax offer over the sealants?  Better UV protection? A different kind of "gloss" ?  Right now I'm waiting for Opti-Pro+ to finish curing before applying one of the Optimum sealers.

The only reason to use OCW on a vehicle with OCP+ is as a clay lube.  As Ron stated,  OCP+ will shed OCW very quickly (in days) but it is a better clay lube than just ONR in order to minimize potential marring of your coated vehicle.  The unique feature of OCW is the ability to restore some UV inhibitors in degraded clear coat (based on patent) but unnecessary for ceramic coated vehicle.  

Thanks for info.  Am using Opti-Seal at present as was told it helps protect curing OP+ (which has 8 days of cure so far) and to hold off Opti-Hyperseal until OP+ has cured for 30 days.  Using microfiber towel following the Opti-seal applicator seemed to control streaking well at 60 degrees F.

Will mention this again - if you ask 5 detailers (even OPT Pro Installers) a question, you'll get 7 different opinions.  There is much misinformation in social media available, but you can get the real story here...directly from Dr G or his spokesman on this planet (me). 

Ok, thanks for info Ron.  Yes, social media's ridiculously cluttered with detailing products "info" & is very confusing.  Despite winter weather,  My OptiPro+  vehicle was cured parked in my insulated garage with temporary heater added to keep temps at 60 degrees or better until 30 day final curing's done).