Mr.Outback

ONR as windshield washer additive

My detailer today told me he uses ONR as a windshield washer additive as he's found the usual methanol/silicon additives in most washer fluids are destructive to wiper blades and also introduce buildup and streaking.  He also claimed ONR would act as an antifreezing agent.

I live in a winter climate where temps can go down to 0 degrees on some occasions.  Windshield fluid protection is critical.

Will ONR provide any antifreeze properties to windshield washer water?  And if so, what dilution ratio is recommended ?

Your detailer is correct that ONR is an excellent windshield fluid additive, but wrong in suggesting it's an anti-freezing agent.  I add a cap full of ONR to my reservoir (there is no "suggested ratio") and then fill with traditional washer fluid.  I don't know about washer fluids destroying wiper blades (seems counter intuitive to me) but I believe ONR will reduce smearing/streaking.

I will echo Ron's view, use a dedicated windscreen wash and use ONR as a booster.  No idea if washer fluids will damage wiper blades but suspect even if they do, UV and abrasion will have a far bigger impact.  When things get warmer, would suggest getting a glass coating.  Clear glass is such a critical safety feature and a good coating can make a big difference.

Based upon my experience using a rinseless/waterless wash from another company(Ultima) than contains silicon,  it significantly increased wiper chatter which increases abrasion on the wiper blades.  Seems counter-intuitive  as to what silicon is marketed for but this is what I observed.  Made sure to never use that product again especially on the windshield.

The "chattering" from silicon windshield fluid additives is, I suspect, due to a somewhat obscure engineering fact for bearings, similar materials  guarantee friction and galling due to molecular attraction, while dissimilar materials (one hard, one soft) have less attraction/ friction.

Alcohol in any form may be hard on wipers but unfortunately seems the only additive fluid makers use to prevent fluid freezup  (fyi   I usually use small amount of propylene glycol deicier to clean wiper blades (Prestone makes one such product)).

On 2/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, Lowejackson said:

I will echo Ron's view, use a dedicated windscreen wash and use ONR as a booster.  No idea if washer fluids will damage wiper blades but suspect even if they do, UV and abrasion will have a far bigger impact.  When things get warmer, would suggest getting a glass coating.  Clear glass is such a critical safety feature and a good coating can make a big difference.

Actually my windshield's been coated twice.  First by car's dealer with Crystal Fusion 2-parter which quickly stopped working and turned glass to sandpaper, and second by my local Opti-Coat detailer who applied Glassparency  2-parter which has been working much better.  ONR's now in washer fluid.