Silicon Carbide .vs. Graphene

Mr.Outback

There's been incredible buzz regarding Graphene lately with claims that coatings of it are "1 atom thick" offering fantastic protection.

That seems far less than what's offered by Silicon Carbide coatings such as Opti-Coat Pro+.

Aren't "Graphene" products really another kind of resin compound but in their case containing suspended Graphene?

And what might happen should Graphene be combined with Silicon Carbide?  Would the resulting coating be blackish due to the graphene coloration?  Would suspended Graphene actually improve Silicon Carbide properties?

• 3 weeks later...

The only other SIC coating I've heard of comes from CarPro (Cquartz SIC) which seems to be consumer grade and apparently has a 7 day cure time before washing.  Have not seen it compared to Opti-Coat nor other products other than Cquartz 3.0, an SIO2 coating.  No mention of warranty on their site.

Another detailer is offering his own "metal oxide" (a type of  tin) coating.  No info as to what the base resin is.  I could see the metal might add some internal "sparkle" to the resin, but tin has a tendency to oxidize very easily.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Youtube, a detailer by name of Scott H is testing a huge number of coatings, but oddly very few SIC products (Scott H remarked those were very hard to obtain).  Test is supposed to last several years.

21 hours ago, Mr.Outback said:

On Youtube, a detailer by name of Scott H is testing a huge number of coatings, but oddly very few SIC products (Scott H remarked those were very hard to obtain).  Test is supposed to last several years.

As you mentioned, the only SiC coatings I know of are Optimum and the one CarPro.

On 3/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, Mr.Outback said:

Another detailer is offering his own "metal oxide" (a type of  tin) coating.  No info as to what the base resin is.  I could see the metal might add some internal "sparkle" to the resin, but tin has a tendency to oxidize very easily.

Um...well, floor finish, used for (mostly) commercial floors like VCT (vinyl composition tile), have, or used to have tin in them.  Here's a quote I found:  "The polishes used in most of these systems are generally cross-link metal interlock systems made of acrylic polymers" .  So I would guess that's an acrylic coating from that "other detailer".  As far as "sparkle"...um, it doesn't have tin flakes in it.  Chemistry is complicated...I remember having threads on another forum where people would say that Dawn would dull automotive trim because it was removing the oil from it.  And I would say that plastic doesn't have oil in it, and the response would be "it's made from oil!", and I would reply that if you bake a cake using eggs, you can't squeeze the cake and get eggs back out of it.  Oil may be used to create feed-stocks used to make plastic, but plastic doesn't have oil in it, per se.  And if there are metal oxides in a coating...it's not going to be tin-plating your car.

assuming the Scott H you refer to is NOT Scott Hair, a very good OCP installer in Texas?  As Setec states, OCP is the only SiC ceramic I know of on the market...and it's not available for general sales.  Hard to trust a test that doesn't include the original coating...and one of the most popular.

My apologies: the referred to Youtube coating tester is Scott HD,  active on Youtube since 2008, and currently beginning a 25 graphene and 41 way ceramic comparison. Most of his test samples are consumer level and some are from China.