Is SiO2 not considered an active ingredient that has to be listed on the SDS? I can't help but notice the SDS for OS and Hyper Seal are exactly the same, even though many swear they are different (and that Hyper Seal is OS with SiO2 added).

The base formula for Opti-Seal and Hyper Seal is the same, however, Hyper Seal has additional SiO2 and other ingredients that are proprietary and not listed on the SDS.

So is it safe to assume that SiO2 is not considered an active ingredient that has to be listed? OPT products are not the only ones I've noticed that are missing the SiO2 on the SDS.

On 3/16/2021 at 3:57 PM, bird-keeper said:

So is it safe to assume that SiO2 is not considered an active ingredient that has to be listed? OPT products are not the only ones I've noticed that are missing the SiO2 on the SDS.

I don't think you are required to list active ingredients if they are not "safety" issues--the purpose of an SDS is not to list the ingredients of a product, but to inform interested parties (distributors, shippers, users) if there are harmful ingredients, how to protect yourself from them, and how to clean up and dispose of the product in case of a spill.

That is exactly right, Setec. People think SDS provide formulas and that is not even close, they are for safe handling & shipping purposes.

3 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

I don't think you are required to list active ingredients if they are not "safety" issues--the purpose of an SDS is not to list the ingredients of a product, but to inform interested parties (distributors, shippers, users) if there are harmful ingredients, how to protect yourself from them, and how to clean up and dispose of the product in case of a spill.

I guess that was really my question. I didn't know the form in which the SiO2 is integrated into the product so I wasn't sure if it was considered a hazardous component or if "SiO2" has become a generic term for a much more complex compound that is already listed in the SDS.