NEW FORMULA HYPER SEAL

Ron@Optimum

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to add my experience with the new formula Hyper Seal. I applied it to my daily driver.  It was applied to bare paint & not a coating.

For years now my yearly routine has been two coats of Opti-Seal (12 hours apart) & then maintain the finish with OCW after every wash. Has did me well but I've been itching to try something new.

I decided to purchase Hyper Seal (new formula). I prepped my paint as usual (de-con, light polish, wiped paint with CarPro Eraser) & then applied two coats of Hyper Seal 12 hours apart. The paint is definitely glossier & has a more mirror like reflection compared to Opti-Seal. My biggest gripe is the paint is grabby instead of silky slick. I've read where some ceramic products have this issue. As far as longevity I've only had it applied for about 5 weeks but I'm still impressed. My truck has been through all conditions the last month & definitely stayed cleaner than usual. I also noticed great beading on all surfaces after a couple rain showers last week. When I washed my truck for the first time last night I used Hyper Seal as a drying aid & it worked very well. I was hoping the paint might slicken up some but when I checked it this morning it was still grabby.

I'm afraid to apply anything else to Hyper Seal to slicken the finish up because I don't want to "clog" the coating & cause it to lose any of it's beading or cleaning abilities.

On Pro+,  I've also found Hyper Seal, after curing for over an hour, makes Pro+ pretty grabby to point that I have to maintain firm grip on the microfiber towel during drying, otherwise the drag will yank the towel right out of my hand.  Pro+ with Hyper-Seal does bead well and does OK job in shedding most road dirt (bugs do stick, however, though usually ONR will wash them off with gentle agitation).

The drag effect's less pronounced on Hyper-Seal'ed glass, though I routinely use Opti-Coat glass cleaner on the glass as well.

Although "off label" use, Hyper-Seal on clean black tires' sidewalls helps keep brake dust off of 'em.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, paulgyro said:

So to follow up on some people comments here, is Hyper Seal not slick then?  How does it compare to OCW and Opti-Seal?  I'd hate to spend all the money on a topped that isn't slick.

Back in April when I initially applied Hyper Seal (2 coats) over bare prepped paint it had a grabby feel to it the following day. Ron said the slickness should increase with additional use since he recommended using it as a drying aid. I've washed my truck 4 times since then & used as a drying aid each time. The slickness is definitely better. I would say it's close but not as slick as Opti-Seal.

The beading & self cleaning abilities blow OCW & Opti-Seal out the water though. I recently took a road trip & the front of my truck along with the windshield were covered in splattered bugs. Yesterday I drove 5 minutes through a heavy rain shower & 95% of them were gone. The beading is excellent also. Extremely tight beads compared to OCW & Opti-Seal.

3 hours ago, AMarkham40 said:

Back in April when I initially applied Hyper Seal (2 coats) over bare prepped paint it had a grabby feel to it the following day. Ron said the slickness should increase with additional use since he recommended using it as a drying aid. I've washed my truck 4 times since then & used as a drying aid each time. The slickness is definitely better. I would say it's close but not as slick as Opti-Seal.

The beading & self cleaning abilities blow OCW & Opti-Seal out the water though. I recently took a road trip & the front of my truck along with the windshield were covered in splattered bugs. Yesterday I drove 5 minutes through a heavy rain shower & 95% of them were gone. The beading is excellent also. Extremely tight beads compared to OCW & Opti-Seal.

Good to know, thanks Mark.  I'm thinking of upgrading to Hyper-Seal.  Liking the Opti-Seal but want something more hydrophobic and durable.  

6 hours ago, AMarkham40 said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

On 5/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

there is no "cure time" for Hyper Seal, it flashes and is done.  We recommend waiting an hour between layers if you decide to add another coat.

Wait, so Hyperseal can get wet immediately after application without affecting durability?  You did mention when using new Hyperseal over Opticoat pro to protect it, to still wait 12 hours before allowing it to get wet.  Does Hyperseal not protect the opticoat pro underneath from water?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 8:10 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

there is no "cure time" for Hyper Seal, it flashes and is done.  We recommend waiting an hour between layers if you decide to add another coat.

Are you sure no cure time at all with hyperseal?  It can contact water right after application without degradation of performance or long term durability?

On another note, though the new Hyperseal is claiming to last 12 months now, I'm assuming that means on bare paint.  How long does it last on top of opticoat pro though?  I thought coatings were supposed to shed sealants in about a week.

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Hyper Seal can be driven in rain as soon as it's dry and durability is on paint OR ceramic coating.  If you read past posts you'll see that Hyper Seal is formulated for long term durability on ceramic coatings.

👍 That's good to know.  I couldn't find any post that stated Hyper Seal's durability on a ceramic coated surface.  If it could last half as long on opticoat pro as on bare paint, let's say 6 months in optimal conditions, then that would be great.   The 1 week durability of optiseal doesn't make for a very useful contaminant shedding layer since trying to wash every single week is tough, so less opportunity to get another layer on before the previous one is gone.

-Is hyperseal's (new formula) proper application:

A: like opti-seal originally as a WOWA where you apply it wet, and let it flash away only wiping with a MF on high spots?

or B: You spray it on the surface and wipe around with an MF until it's all gone from the surface, like many of today's spray coatings?

-So when you say it can get wet as soon as it's dry, it sounds like, if A,  once the flashing is done it's at full durability?  Or if B, once you've wiped it dry, it's at full durability?  

If so, hyperseal has a great advantage over many spray coatings on the market which require half a day or 24 days to cure before it's fully weather resistant.  People without garages often have no means to let coatings, spray coatings included, nor sealants (like optiseal) to develop full durability before the evening dew sets in to mess things up on the longevity front.

I've done an experiment before where I had an outdoor car which applied many different waxes/sealants, including UPGP, FK1000, etc...  Usually I finished prep work in the late afternoon and applied the LSP when only a few hours were left before it got cold enough that dew set in.  None of the surfaces lasted as expected, a month and things looked weak, 2-3 months and most things were dead.  However, once I had access to a garage and did the same process but let my car stay in the garage environment for 2 days first.  Then it got brought back to the normal environment.  Wow, UPGP, FK1000, they lasted almost a year with very strong water performance, much better than when they didn't have the protected cure time. 

So nowadays I always assume products to really deliver on their promise need at least 24 hours in a protected environment to cure if they don't say anything, and if they do mention a time frame, to give at least that time frame or a minimum of 24 hours anyway.  So not having to think about that with Hyperseal opens it up to a whole lot of convenience.  It's only too bad this instant curing aspect can't be used by hyperseal to protect a new opticoat coating underneath from water contact immediately.  That would have been the ultimate combo and make coating curing requirements much easier for installers and their customers to deal with.

46 minutes ago, bcwang said:

👍 That's good to know.  I couldn't find any post that stated Hyper Seal's durability on a ceramic coated surface.  If it could last half as long on opticoat pro as on bare paint, let's say 6 months in optimal conditions, then that would be great.   The 1 week durability of optiseal doesn't make for a very useful contaminant shedding layer since trying to wash every single week is tough, so less opportunity to get another layer on before the previous one is gone.

-Is hyperseal's (new formula) proper application:

A: like opti-seal originally as a WOWA where you apply it wet, and let it flash away only wiping with a MF on high spots?

or B: You spray it on the surface and wipe around with an MF until it's all gone from the surface, like many of today's spray coatings?

-So when you say it can get wet as soon as it's dry, it sounds like, if A,  once the flashing is done it's at full durability?  Or if B, once you've wiped it dry, it's at full durability?  

If so, hyperseal has a great advantage over many spray coatings on the market which require half a day or 24 days to cure before it's fully weather resistant.  People without garages often have no means to let coatings, spray coatings included, nor sealants (like optiseal) to develop full durability before the evening dew sets in to mess things up on the longevity front.

I've done an experiment before where I had an outdoor car which applied many different waxes/sealants, including UPGP, FK1000, etc...  Usually I finished prep work in the late afternoon and applied the LSP when only a few hours were left before it got cold enough that dew set in.  None of the surfaces lasted as expected, a month and things looked weak, 2-3 months and most things were dead.  However, once I had access to a garage and did the same process but let my car stay in the garage environment for 2 days first.  Then it got brought back to the normal environment.  Wow, UPGP, FK1000, they lasted almost a year with very strong water performance, much better than when they didn't have the protected cure time. 

So nowadays I always assume products to really deliver on their promise need at least 24 hours in a protected environment to cure if they don't say anything, and if they do mention a time frame, to give at least that time frame or a minimum of 24 hours anyway.  So not having to think about that with Hyperseal opens it up to a whole lot of convenience.  It's only too bad this instant curing aspect can't be used by hyperseal to protect a new opticoat coating underneath from water contact immediately.  That would have been the ultimate combo and make coating curing requirements much easier for installers and their customers to deal with.

Related to the coating application, my understanding is you just need to give Gloss Coat or OptiCoat 1 hour before you can apply Hyperseal on top of it with long term protection.  That's amazing in and of itself!

1 hour ago, paulgyro said:

Related to the coating application, my understanding is you just need to give Gloss Coat or OptiCoat 1 hour before you can apply Hyperseal on top of it with long term protection.  That's amazing in and of itself!

1 hour is the known time duration minimum before you can top opticoat pro, pro plus, pro 3, or glosscoat with optiseal or the new formula hyperseal.  However, once you do that, it seems you need to wait 12 hours before that combo should be exposed to water, dew, or other moisture to give it sufficient time to form full water resistance.