Why should I use Gloss Coat in 2022?

cptzippy

This is sort of an off shoot of a thread I started in the ONR section. There I mentioned that on other forums Optimum is not as recommended as other brands any more. This is especially true in the consumer coating arena.  When I see gloss coat mentioned, it is described as lasting less than one year and lacking in gloss and hydrophobic qualities. The only good point people seem to mention is that it is easy to apply.

When it came time to try a coating, I went with the recommended CarPro products and used C.Quartz Lite.   As a long time Optimum user, I want to give gloss coat a chance so…

Why should I choose Gloss Coat versus all the other products available in 2021?

because forums are full of opinions (including this one), many times with an agenda.  Ironically just today Facebook had posts recommending Gloss-Coat (with multiple positive responses:

https://www.facebook.com/DetailExpert/posts/1571722533032240?__cft__[0]=AZXdv4VRNF3QOpb75j6UCJGQ2nxkdwmSYS13aQora0xTazf9CBuIvq2TaOefO7o-in6rjZ5wMha60l_e1LSYOZQ53jEPhuoVvuevBGOyxFJydZwjFxhH0Cfkz2o68GluqmJLjR1VDnUTcH9Tw8-06_Sjd_119e3LpH2rc5mCUpPQf46sWAWi5lEqu9oJ0fgl0zarmtiQwiSeI07P7ydQfjl3&__tn__=-UC%2CP-R

I talk to pro installers every day and get many compliments on OPT products for their ease of use, simplicity, consistent performance, and cost effectiveness.  I don't know all the coating products available in 2021, but know Optimum was the first ceramic, makes all it's own chemicals, stands by it's products, doesn't over promise/hype, etc.  Question, if CQuartz Lite is so good, why are you looking?

I’ve been using optimum a long time and I also know that opinions aren’t always based on facts. I’d like to know just how gloss coats stands up. Durability for instance. I know there are many factors that go into this. I see some say that it will meet or exceed the 2 year mark but I also read that I should expect no more than 9 months.

• 7 months later...

When combined with their polishes, and paint prep, you can set yourself up for the best possible scenario with any of the Optimum paint protection products. Well, I don’t need  to use paint prep before applying Car Wax or Opti-Seal...

You get those results in less time, with greater ease. 

Plus, they did just tweak it to boost the protective, and release properties. 

Until I decide to go into the pro Opti coatings, I'm hanging my hat on Gloss Coat. 

On 6/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, cptzippy said:

This is sort of an off shoot of a thread I started in the ONR section. There I mentioned that on other forums Optimum is not as recommended as other brands any more. This is especially true in the consumer coating arena.  

The reason Optimum isn't mentioned in whatever forums you are referring to is that it is a product that the pros are typically drawn to. There are so many consumer products that reach far more people than Optimum. In my experience, the more serious detailers tend to lean towards Optimum. Thats just the reality. I think Dr. G. likes it that way, in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Tug Bankert said:

The reason Optimum isn't mentioned in whatever forums you are referring to is that it is a product that the pros are typically drawn to. There are so many consumer products that reach far more people than Optimum.

As a member of some of the forums that zippy is referring to, I have to respectfully disagree.  Those are detailing forums in which OPT certified installers participate, as well as pro installers of other coatings, and aren't the kind of uninformed information that you get in detailing threads on "car forums".  There was a lot of unhappiness with OPT among the weekend pro installers some years ago when OPT, intentionally or unintentionally, pushed them to other brands by increasing pricing and upping the minimum buy.  But more to the point zippy was making, Gloss-Coat has not been as well received on those forums as some other consumer coatings, by very experienced non-pros who have been applying coatings for a long time.  And when I say "consumer coatings", I'm not talking about retail, I'm talking about boutique products that 99% of the people in the detail aisle at WalMart or AutoZone have never heard of.

Setec, 

These installers were unhappy because of increased price buy-in and raising the minimum of what to charge for the coating? I am going to stick with the fact that these "pro" installers and "pro" weekend installers like to "play" with coatings.

Let me give you an example. Zippy was asking, why should he choose gloss coat over another coating? The reality is, he and others should choose whatever coating they feel comfortable and confident with. If it's gloss coat, fine, if not find one you like. 

Here is the example...these detailers in the forums you are referring to are "playing" with coatings. They try this one and that one and then go back to the other...I like ceramic pro today and tomorrow I like cquartz. That's fine, if someone wants to test...no judgment. Find a coating and stick with it. I have never used any other coating than opti coat. How does the FBI so good at spotting a fake bill? Because they study the real thing until they can spot a fake fron a mile away. When you use and practice and know 1 coating and just hit home runs with it you will have the confidence to coat anything and believe it in with all your might. 

How does someone really know 1 coating is better than another...they test the one versus the other. They are all coatings...they all do the same thing...ease of clean. Furthermore, you may see a slight difference with 1 coating over another. Your customer will not. Some coatings are better than others. Some last longer than others. A few "pros" or maybe even a whole gang of pros may say...opt gloss coat isn't very good...this other one is way better...I'm leaving opt because they raised their minimum I can charge for the coating....man, it seems like they want me to be successful...coukd that be the reason they say to raise the price...but I want to charge $399 for pro plus because I can't sell it for $1,800... no one will pay that much. 

I put no stock in what product testers like Pan or Matt mourmon because they don't know any one product..they knowany products and mostly consumer stuff and they like cheap stuff. The ones who practice over and over with the same product and figure it put day by day...those are the ones who know what they are talking about. You take the guy that loves Opt and is good at it and then you take a guy that loves gyeon and that's all he knows and you talk to both of them and make the comparison yourself.

The guy with tests different stuff knows none of them really well. But that guy is readily available because they are all over YouTube and he must know what he's talking about because he has 600k followers even though he doesn't detail for a living. I would also question someone's expertise on a subject just based on the fact that he still uses soap to wash a car. 

Any questions or concerns...I will be here all week. 😁

Pan and that other guy are not "pros" and are not the kind of people I'm referring to.  I'm not talking about people that "play" or test products, or have YouTube channels.  I'm talking about people that have second jobs as professional detailers, who have real companies and insurance just like you, but just don't do it full time.  And not because they couldn't get their customers to pay the OPT min charge, but just didn't do enough jobs in a month to meet the min buy, if that's even a thing any more.

I used Gloss Coat a few months ago and found it to be great.  Very easy to use, great gloss and very good hydrophobics.  I no longer have the vehicle so I'll never be able to tell how long it would have lasted.

I'm currently struggling to get Hyper-Seal to bead well.  I know, it's not the end all be all, but I've been disappointed with the hydrophobicity of Hyper-Seal.   Is it possible that it's due to not using Hyper-Polish?  

10 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

Pan and that other guy are not "pros" and are not the kind of people I'm referring to.  I'm not talking about people that "play" or test products, or have YouTube channels.  I'm talking about people that have second jobs as professional detailers, who have real companies and insurance just like you, but just don't do it full time.  And not because they couldn't get their customers to pay the OPT min charge, but just didn't do enough jobs in a month to meet the min buy, if that's even a thing any more.

That, of course makes sense but we can disregard their criticism of a given company because it's not valid. Opt doesn't fit their business model. Opt did not push them away

8 minutes ago, KIS76@ said:

I used Gloss Coat a few months ago and found it to be great.  Very easy to use, great gloss and very good hydrophobics.  I no longer have the vehicle so I'll never be able to tell how long it would have lasted.

I'm currently struggling to get Hyper-Seal to bead well.  I know, it's not the end all be all, but I've been disappointed with the hydrophobicity of Hyper-Seal.   Is it possible that it's due to not using Hyper-Polish?  

Has the vehicle been decontaminated? It should be polished for any product to adhere properly and perform at its max

11 minutes ago, Tug Bankert said:

Has the vehicle been decontaminated? It should be polished for any product to adhere properly and perform at its max

New car, decontaminted, and stripped down but not polished.  There were no signs of any protection prior to applying.  Water was flat on surface not moving.  

I can provide a historical perspective on Coatings. I was in Memphis and responsible for signing/monitoring/regulating Pro Installers and lived through the somewhat painful birth of ceramics.  After a chaotic start to introducing ceramic coatings (AKA snake oil), Optimum got it's hands around the product.  Selling Opti-Coat 2.0 was a blessing and curse - the good part was introducing a less expensive/easier to use ceramic to the general public (and I regularly get calls from people with 2.0 still performing).  The curse - the name 2.0 implied it was an improved version of Opti-Guard AND there were pro installers selling it as the pro version (since it cost them less).  Reformulating 2.0 into Gloss-Coat, intentionally reducing it's longevity to increase the difference from pro products but making it easier to apply, and increasing the price (actually we reduced quantity) was by design.  The creation of Opti-Coat Pro (and Plus), with higher price, smaller quantities, and installer restrictions was more getting the cost closer to the value...something we had no way of knowing at inception.  The fact we have over 400 successful installers would indicate our pricing and policies are not out of line.  There is MAP pricing (minimum advertised prices) so there's no lowballing/cutting corners and some of our competitors allow discounting or price gouging, making them more attractive.  Optimum does have purchase requirements for approved installers to (1) keep them from using the Optimum brand to bait and switch, (2)reduce use lessor prep products that influence quality/durability, (3) promote using the OPT line, and (4) limit installers to professionals vs amateurs.  The purchase requirements are not onerous, are flexible, and rarely are exercised.

One last thought about Coatings in general - I've seen criticisms of Gloss-Coat, Opti-Coat Pro, and EVERY competitor!  There are so many variables, from prep, to installer, to weather conditions, to maintenance that influence performance.  In my experience there's a huge difference even in vehicles/paints/clear coats and some products shine more, bead differently, last longer on some paints (and colors) than others.  Because of that, I take social media comments/criticisms with a ton of salt!