Why should I use Gloss Coat in 2022?

cptzippy

To Tug's point, there is a distinct difference in my efficacy and knowledge of a produc, the more I use it. Example: for about two years I've been using 3D ONE for about 97% of the paint corrections I've done in that time. I can't even count how many cars that was at this point. My attraction to that product, and our compatibility gave me a much greater understanding than if I had used it once in a while, while trying out the ten other polishes on my shelf. 

This is why I take any and all of these youtube test videos, and fourm testimonials with a grain of salt. Even of those whom I deeply respect. Another detailer I work with has a drastically different approach and product choice, but he can still achieve great results. He also has his own clients. But - he has no problem laying down a coating after polishing with a cleaner wax (Megs d166), with the assumption that a panel wipe is going to remove it. 

Another example: I got first bottle of Opti-Seal in 2015. I never liked it. But. I never applied it properly. At first I sprayed it on the paint and immediately wiped off. Then with the foam I kept applying after the wet trail was gone. Not enough product, thus no flash off, I had to wipe off. Then I applied really heavy, with great impatience I wiped off immediately.. 

This summer comes and I see the benefit of using Hyper Polish for prepping Opti-Seal. Then I reevaluated my application technique to match what Yvan was doing. Today, OS is one of my favorite products that is happily traversing the snow, salt, and slush this winter. I wasn't expecting that based off what others have said. I'm glad I took the time to learn that one, and am looking forward to learning the polishes next! 

That is an excellent point, dlc95. Everyone has the product they like and a routine. I also put no stock in those who test products. Find a product youike and stick with it an master it is the best method.

Not everyone details for profit. Some detail for therapy and they love taking an hour to soap wash their car. Personally, I don't want to have to work that hard. My 2014 Mazda 6 is coated with pro 3 and the interior is also coated with leather guard. 20 minute wash and 20 minute interior clean and I'm done...so easy. 

I have customers that love to slather armor all on their interior which makes cleaning the interior more difficult. They do that because they are either misinformed or uneducated. 

I offer coatings to everyone who walks in my doors because they are profitable but mainly because they will make clients lives easier. 

3 hours ago, dlc95 said:

To Tug's point, there is a distinct difference in my efficacy and knowledge of a product, the more I use it...This is why I take any and all of these youtube test videos, and fourm testimonials with a grain of salt.

C'mon Dan, people like Rasky, Richie, that auto dermatology guy, etc. don't have YouTube channels.  You've been around the forums, back when you were just an "amateur",  and you know as well as I do there are plenty of people whose opinions can be trusted.  If I go by what you're saying now, I should have scoffed at what you posted years ago as a know-nothing keyboard warrior.  That's not to say there aren't ding-dongs on forums, but to lump everyone who doesn't detail full-time into the know-nothing crowd isn't fair or accurate.

This is moot anyway, I don't think we're going to convince zippy, he hasn't even visited the forum in 4 months.

Setec, you don't need Dan to validate your point any more than I do. He can have his opinion. 

Non pros may pick up a truth or 2 here and there but detailing their own cars or their buddies cars and testing a few products will not allow them to have any real world perspective on anything other than they people in their small group

On 2/11/2022 at 6:52 PM, Tug Bankert said:

That is an excellent point, dlc95. Everyone has the product they like and a routine. I also put no stock in those who test products. Find a product youike and stick with it an master it is the best method.

Not everyone details for profit. Some detail for therapy and they love taking an hour to soap wash their car. Personally, I don't want to have to work that hard. My 2014 Mazda 6 is coated with pro 3 and the interior is also coated with leather guard. 20 minute wash and 20 minute interior clean and I'm done...so easy. 

I have customers that love to slather armor all on their interior which makes cleaning the interior more difficult. They do that because they are either misinformed or uneducated. 

I offer coatings to everyone who walks in my doors because they are profitable but mainly because they will make clients lives easier. 

Thanks, Tug. 

I wouldn't say that I completely dismiss their findings, or experiences - not in the least, but I leave the door open to my own unfamiliarity with a product. Hence the reason I've had the same bottle of Opti-Seal all these years. I finally "got it". 

Had I taken it's naysayers as gospel I would have thrown it in trash early on. But others that have had good success inspired me to "unlock" it. 

I've been drumming ten years longer than I've been detailing, and the same thing goes for drum gear. Some of the best pros use stuff that doesn't work for me and vice versa. 

Doesn't mean they're wrong, it's just that their set up is wrong for me at this time. 

On 2/11/2022 at 6:52 PM, Setec Astronomy said:

C'mon Dan, people like Rasky, Richie, that auto dermatology guy, etc. don't have YouTube channels.  You've been around the forums, back when you were just an "amateur",  and you know as well as I do there are plenty of people whose opinions can be trusted.  If I go by what you're saying now, I should have scoffed at what you posted years ago as a know-nothing keyboard warrior.  That's not to say there aren't ding-dongs on forums, but to lump everyone who doesn't detail full-time into the know-nothing crowd isn't fair or accurate.

This is moot anyway, I don't think we're going to convince zippy, he hasn't even visited the forum in 4 months.

I wasn't intending "grain of salt" to equate complete dismissal. 

• 1 month later...

I am not a pro.  But, as a DIY'er I've read time and again that you can't layer waxes or sealants over coatings - and one famous detailer makes it a mission to say that you never want to layer sealants or waxes over Myabi coatings.   Optimum does state that you CAN layer sealants and waxes over Gloss-Coat.  

Now I don't think that these are mutually exclusive theories.  I believe that different products react differently with other products.  So, I fully understand that Optimum says that you can use Opti-Seal or Optimum Car Wax over Gloss-Coat - and that's right because Dr. G knows his chemistry - they're his products.  The famous detailer who ways you never want to layer sealants and waxes over Myabi coatings is also right because he has tested the crap out of his system and knows that Myabi coating doesn't play well with other sealants and waxes.

So, if you never want to do anything with your car other than wash it, then the Myabi route may work fine for you.  But, I like to touch my paint and play with "toppings".  More importantly, my car sits outside; so I can wash it one day, and overnight we can have a light sporadic rain and in the morning I have all manner of water spots on the surface...I can't leave that alone, and sometimes I don't have the time to do a full wash again.  So, I like having the flexibility of grabbing ONR or Opti-Clean and gently cleaning away the water spots and dirt left behind by the wind.  I may only do the front fascia and hood, but it makes me feel good to see the car shine again.  

More importantly, is how Optimums Paint Prep will clean everything off your paint EXCEPT for Gloss-Coat.  So, if you screw up and layer Adams Polishes Graphene Detail Spray over TEC-582 ceramic wax, and then add Gyeon Cure, and then get rain water spots that remain after you've tried to clean the hood with Wolfgang Uber waterless wash...then reach for Optimum Paint Prep and clean all of the crap off.  You'll be amazed to find a great glossy finish underneath all the crap you have been using...the original Gloss-Coat!  And yes, this just happened to me.  Myabi coat and Gyeon Paint Prep may be just as forgiving, but maybe not.  I know that I can always get back to square one easily and quickly without imparting any lasting damage whatsoever by reaching for Optimum's Paint Prep.

So,

1)  There are alternative solutions, and not just one size fits all...

2)  if your car sits outside overnight (like my jet black Nissan 370 does), and if you like to play with washes, detailers, sealants and waxes 'cause detailing your paint releases endorphins in your head and helps you relax and feel better, then  Optimum Gloss-Coat may be a great solution for you,

• It's easy to apply - if you can use a sponge applicator to apply a sealant then you can apply Gloss-Coat.  If you want to practice your technique before actually applying Gloss Coat, then spend $30 and buy Opti-Seal which is a great sealant and which applies exactly the same as Gloss-Coat.  You get to see the rainbow effect of the sealant drying (just like in Gloss Coat), and then buff the excess off - same method for Gloss-Coat so it can be worthwhile practice...Opti-Seal also applies in cold weather and you can drive the car immediately no cure time needed.  I   had warning of a snow storm coming in 29 degree weather, so I ONR'd the Nissan, the quickly applied a coat of Opti-Seal, and 15 min later the storm hit - no problems - the snow just easily slid off the car - another great product from Dr. G at Optimum. 
  • You can layer Opti-Seal and Optimum's Car Wax over it - they won't bond as well as on non-coated paint but they will give you a 7-10 day's protection on top of the coating.  
  • Layering over Gloss-Coat may be unnecessary, but I feel better about having a sacrificial layer to deal with bug guts and bird bombs in the spring.
  • I have also used Chemical Guys Jet Seal over Gloss-Coat at the beginning of winter - no problems in application, but I feel that I may have only gotten 2 months of protection.  I don't think Jet Seal bonded well over Gloss-Coat - which really is the point - a coating will not allow anything to bond to it!  However, if you have an uncoated car I highly recommend two coats of Jet Seal twice per year.
  • Remember that Optimum Paint Prep is your best friend if you have applied Gloss-Coat as it will easily get you back to square one in case you mix sealants and waxes that may not be playing well together (because you can't help doing things to your paint - those endorphins again). 
  • Optimum Paint Prep will also clean away water spots and bird bomb etching. 
  • If water spots are not fully clearing away with Paint Prep then Optimum also has a good water spot remover which works well, but I've only had to use it once.  

So, do what makes you happy...Gloss-Coat is easy to work with, and if you make a mess layering it, there is always Optimum Paint Prep to get you back to ground zero.

My application of Gloss-Coat has lasted 5 years!  I recently had a dealer swirl the crap out of my paint and they are paying for a paint correction.  So, I will again be applying Gloss Coat!  Thanks, Dr. G for a great product!