Problem with Hyper Compound

Heijneker

Great write up, Heijneker!

I sometimes get a lot of marring with Intensive Polish and Hyper Compound on orange foam. But I'm still learning them. The Optimum Microfiber Pads are much easier for me to get the cut and finish that I was looking for. So much more cut, and much nicer finish. I did a Bronco at work. It was brand new, and needed some correction. I started with Intensive Polish on am orange waffle and it marred the daylights out if the finish. Hyper Polish struggled to remove the marring. I had to go back to a more familiar combination to proceed around the vehicle. I've since learned that I could have moved to the black waffle pad with Intensive Polish, which is what I recently used on a Toyota Tacoma. 

The blue (polishing/finishing) and green (cutting/polishing) Buff and Shine foams are still my favorite foam pads. They make the Hex Logic for Chemical Guys, which is a sort of take on a waffle style. The Hex Logic were the first random orbital pads I've ever used, and I still love them. 

@dlc95 I'm still learning the compounds as well! I found the same thing as you, Microfiber leaves the best finish while still cutting. The black waffle pads don't really cut with Hyper Polish. I'll give the black waffle pad and intensive polish combo a try! 

Don't have any experience with the Buff and Shine or Chemical guys pads!

I got a new bottle of Hyper Compound. Compared to the gallon I had before, this one works better from the get-go. Less dusting and better finish, also more 'oily' to work with, like Intensive Polish. Still trying to reduce the dust to zero, I feel it has something to do with pads not always being clean enough. Dusting happens mainly when I work on roof side rails, where only part of the pad is on the paint. Or when I polish on a crack between two panels. This can also happen with Intensive Polish sometimes.

Noted, Ron. Hyper Compound is more of a specialty product. Intensive polish is an easier product to work with, while still having a lot of cut.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten a new bottle of Hyper Compound, and am experiencing problems again. Yesterday I tried to use it on a couple of white vans, but it didn't have any cut (no dusting either lol). It also didn't spray well. The wipe-off was also suspiciously easy, even with a dry cloth. I then used Intensive Polish, like I always do,  which cut like crazy and has a bit of grabiness on the wipe-off. 

Right now, the Hyper Compound isn't even sprayable anymore. I put some stainless steel nuts in the bottle as soon as I got it. No matter how much I shake it now, it gunks up the suction tube for the sprayer head right away. It also forms these weird little balls inside the bottle, see picture.

20220302-114217.jpg

I'm getting pretty tired of the problems I'm experiencing with Hyper Compound. I really want it to work like it should and how Intensive and Hyper Polish are working for me (awesome that is).

What's causing this problem and how do I fix it, or more importantly, prevent it?

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2022 at 8:43 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

Dr G has been working on the "settling problem" with Hyper Compound and has improved the formula.  Product is being shipped to Europe this week and if you contact the master distributor (http://www.opticoat-pro.com/), Patrick Barkel, you can get a replacement.

Can we get some more information regarding this new formula? Will everything else stay the same except for the settling issue? Will it have the same cut?

On 4/12/2022 at 6:50 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

The new formula Hyper Compound  is "more smooth & creamy, with less settling" according to Dr G (sounds yummy).  It also has more cut...

Good to hear. Will have to get my hands on the new formula.