OCW...any wax for that matter

Hey-!st off I love the new OCW. ease of use, great smell, and good shine. But with any wax that is hand applied/removed why do I often get the striping effect? I guess it's easy to get off with a QD wipe or whatever BUT to optimize the ease of use factor with spray waxes, what technique prevents my hood from looking like a tiger shark? It happens with my NXT liquid as well.

I don't think it's too much but it IS warm here in Florida. I am always in a garage, not in the sun. I usually spray a couple squirts on a panel and wipe it in immediately. Then I buff off with a folded towel and flip it for one final wipe. Maybe it's just the heat playing a factor and the dark colors of the car.

Try applying it to the towel first and then to the paint, also in smaller areas. I'm here in San Antonio with high heat and humidity are very rarely do I have any application issues.

Do you have anything that might be on the paint, say a glaze, that you're applying over or perhaps fabric softner in the towels?

Anthony

As for fabric softeners, I've been using only woolite to wash in teh sink or in the washer on hand wash cycle, tumble dry only. I switched to Tide Free recently as Woolite still has a scent, so I wanted no perfumes at all. I'll try spraying directly to the applicator/towel.

BTW-Got a break last night after the fam went to bed. Did ONR wash on my GTI in the garage. Then this afternoon OOS/OCW on the wheels!!! Still loving my new products! Still haven't tried out the poli-seal.

One important thing is to define streaking vs. smearing, as the end effect could look similar.

SMEARING is a tendencially too mobile LSP film. It can look oily, hazy, shows fingerprints. Smearing is usually caused by overdeposition of thicker (higher viscosity) active ingredients.

STREAKING is generally defined as ghost marks, imperfections in the LSP film that are hard to move (even immovable) with simple wiping or rubbing. Generally there are two main causes for streaking:

- The film-forming ingredients cannot level and spread well.

- The film-forming ingredients interfere with each other (incompatibility issue; possibly with the underlying coats).

In the first case, insufficient drying time, or improper application conditions play a part. Allowing too little or too much drying time can have negative effects on the LSP film.

From the manufacturer POV, it is important to choose appropriate solvents as well as the proper phase ratios (water- vs. oil phase) to provide a drying time that allows the polish active ingredients to wet out to a thin uniform film.

Without being too technical, it is important to ensure proper application techniques, conditions.

First, SHAKE the product! OCW I was particularly sensitive to this. The proper mixture works the best. And although OCW II doesn't seem to settle as much, it is still a big factor with EVERY detailing product. Mixtures, emulsions can separate, thicken up, thin out, abrasives can sink to the bottom of the bottle, etc. So, shake every product before and during application.

Secondly, spraying the towel first is an excellent advice from Anthony, because it will give you a more even film.

And if you still experience the above, try to find and eliminate the cause one-by-one. What products did you use before OCW? What polish? Glaze? Did you wipe the paint after polishing with IPA or Prepsol? Sometimes a straight APC wash does the job. It can help when "invisible" contamination hides in the pores, which can induce bad rotary hop.

Archived