Remove Vandalism

A doctors wife called me and asked if I could come over and see about removing some of her little sons art work which he drew on her housekeepers black Pontiac. He had taken a stick and drew some nice little pictures all on her hood and all down the passenger side.

Some of it was pretty deep.......

scratchhoodbv7.jpg

scratchhood2kg4.jpg

I used No-Rinse to clean up each marked area and then set about wetsanding each marked up area with 3000 grit paper. To remove the sanding marks I used my rotary, black lambs wool pad and Optimum Polish. This left me with some minor swirling but removed the sanding marks completely.

woolocphoodgb8.jpg

Since the swirls were so light I then used a white finishing pad and Optimum Polish to level out the buffer swirls and again my rotary.

whtpadhoodhu1.jpg

To finish up I used my Cyclo with white pads and PoliSeal. Because Optimum Polish is so versatile I used one product and 2 different pads to correct these problems and one other product to finish out. Took me under an hour and I charged my client $75.00

polisealhoodcm1.jpg

Again the key here is to wetsand just until the gloss is diminished and then start your buffing process.

Anthony

Excel,

If you scroll down to the tutorial section, you'll find a really good set of videos by Anthony and Ron that focus on nothing but wetsanding. Though Anthony could elaborate, he can't possibly explain wetsanding better than what you will see in the videos.

BTW if I didn't say so before. Welcome aboard.

Anthony the results here are just phenominal. I'll be beginning to wetsand some really bad areas this evening. I'm only going to go very lightly. I've been soaking the paper for a couple of days. I'll shoot pics tonight. I already have befores. I don't have a rotary, and it appears that a rotary would probably allow me to avoid wetsanding, in my case, but the cyclo just doesn't have the power that is required to remove a lot of the stuff I'm dealing with.

Hey thanks guys :lol:

Something to always remember when wet sanding is you'll need to remove the sanding marks PLUS in doing that step you'll also be removing more paint also. Far too many people sand and sand thinking they must totally remove the defect and they then forget that they need to do more buffing to remove the sanding marks which in turn removes more clear and in most cases leads to burning thru the clear.

So you'll want to sand a bit, check your work and then sand again....repeat this process until your defect is barely visible or the paint gloss is gone. When paint gloss is gone (using 2000/3000 grit paper) it's be*st to stop then polish out your sanded area.

Keep plenty of soap mixture on the paint, sand as Ron describes in our video and take your time, checking your progress often.

Happy Detailing,

Anthony

Archived