The Motorola Razr....my thoughts

Anthony Orosco

It stinks!!! :thumbsupup[1]:

I bought my wife a Razr phone when I bought my MotoQ (which by the way is an excellent pda/phone) and she had nothing but problems with it, to the point that the display would be upside down!! So I returned it and got a new Razr phone but it also started to act up. Turns out we had some of the Sprint folks tell us that they had issues themselves with the Razr and got different phones as well.

So with the second one being bad I demanded a new phone and picked out a Samsung which my wife really likes and it's working great. The only downside to it is that it doesn't have a microSD card to store pics, files and such but just feels better to her and has alot of nice goodies she likes like ringers, clocks and themes.

The MotoQ I have is great. I bought a 1gig SD card to go with it and a new wireless headset which I was supposed to get with the phone but forgot to call about it!!! I had a phone plus a PDA and got tired of carrying both so I opted for a combo and looked at a lot of PDA phones but the MotoQ had the best typing "qwerty" board out there of those I tested BUT I only wish it had stylus input....that would make it perfect!

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...
The major annoyance with the razor is that if a person has 2 or 3 #s you have to input the name and #s 2or 3 different

times. My Samsung or other Motorola lets you use 1 name with space for 3 or 4 #s.............

That isn't really true if you know how to enter the #'s. On the razr one name can have several different #'s such as main, work, home, mobile, fax, and pager. You just scroll down to the end of the screen where the person is listed, select more, and then you can add another #. Once the numbers are all added, and that persons name is on you phone list hitting the right arrow switches to all the different #'s for that contact. It works the same way as my V400. The Moto interface isn't the most intuitive out there, but once you get used to it it's pretty versatile.

I have read where a lot of people have had problems with the razr, but so far my newer version (Cingular) hasn't had any problems (knock on wood), but I have my old V400 as a backup just-in-case.

• 2 months later...

Every one I have talked to has owns a Motorola product has had some major complaints, myself included. I had a moto phone before the RAZR came out, and it was a POS.

That said, I have had good luck with LG's, my current Kyocera, my wife's Samsung, and the Samsung phone I had from 2000-2003.

My current phones are an LG, a Kyocera and a Samsung, and it looks like I will continue to stick to those brands.

What about service providers?

I have had Sprint (sucks)

T-mobile (even worse)

and I am currently using Verizon, which is great (almost never any dropped calls and VERY few holes in the coverage area), but I'm afraid that they may be too pricey. Currently, we have the minimal family share plan for our three lines, and the bills haver around $150/mo. after all the little fees are added in.

Truthfully all providers bite!!

I've been with Sprint for years now and I never get any incentive to get a new phone BUT if someone new comes along they can get a great phone for dirt cheap or free and a cool plan and that sucks. Every so often I give a client a free hand wash just because I appreciate their business so you would think that after 4 years of paying $100 or more to Sprint they would say....."Let's give people a 20% discount on their monthly bill when they hit 4 years of service with us!" Instead I have to threaten them with leaving before they even attempt to cut me some deal. :blink:

I may go next with Verizon but right now I have a great plan which gives me FREE incoming minutes which is about the best thing Sprint has offered.

Anthony

That's true! I read in Smart Money magazine some time ago that the service providers of cable, internet and Cellular spend several hundred dollars on average per new customer gained. Therefore, by threatening to leave, and take advantage of a competitor's "introductory offer", you can usually strike a decent deal with them. According to Smart Money, the lowering prices necessitate this type of action about every six months.

i have Sprint and have been pleased with the service...I have never had any dropped calls. I do agree with you Anthony that they need a better system for long term incentives for those of us that are "loyal" customers...maybe that can be put into their "suggestion box"?... :D:blink:

Archived