Off-brand Glaze/Optimum Car Wax compatibility?

MisterShark

Hopefully I won't be breaking any rules by mentioning another brand's product, but I don't think so since Optimum does not make a product that performs the function of the other brand's product (otherwise I'd buy Optimum's version of it).

So what I'm wondering is if I can use Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze before applying my Optimum Car Wax LSP.

One of the other message boards has a thread up about using this particular glaze before applying yet another brand's LSP, and the possibility of encountering a reduction in the LSP's durability due to compromised bonding by the LSP to the car's Black Hole Glazed clearcoat.

Here's that thread from the other message board in case anyone cares to reference it.

I know that it's likely that no one at Optimum Polymer Technologies has (nor could be expected to) cross-tested this particular combo and that testing of that nature is likely confined to 'inter-brand only' compatibility testing, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I also know that it's generally regarded as 'best practice' in detailing circles to eliminate the swirls rather than covering them up with a colored glaze but I simply don't always (read: seldom) have the time to invest for correction.

Thanks in advance for all that contribute.

I think you may have answered your own question there MisterShark. You'll probably have to find someone who has actually used it to be certain, but what I can tell you is that OCW plays very nice with everything I have personally put it over. It is very lightweight and with NO cleaning properties, should cause you no trouble. A glaze will prevent the wax from bonding to the paint in the areas that it fills, and likewise when the glaze is gone, so is the wax, but it'll probably serv your purposes just fine. It only takes about 10 minutes to add the OCW so you could do it after a wash as often as you need to. In other words, you can probably get the look you want, but I wouldn't expect too much durability.

Thanks for the reply.

As simple and quick as it is to apply a fresh coat of OCW I won't sweat applying it at least once a month.

Now if we could just get some temps above freezing here in Jersey... :thumbsupup[1]:

Archived