Post application

oli

I applied a thin, at least i think it was thin, coat to the trunk of a black G35, and what I noticed after i waited about 3 - 5 min. What i notice is a slight milky splotches here and there over the trunk after I wiped it down with a clean micro fiber towel.

I used M205 to take care of any scratches followed up with IPA wipe down. I did notice with any of the diluted IPA that it dry quite quickly, but I don't think that has anything to do with it considering I would spray down a panel pretty liberally with it. I did take a break for lunch and then attacked the vehicle with the OC.

I've applied Opti-Guard to more than 40 vehicles (hopefully many more to come) and came across that problem quite a few times. Had to machine polish panels to remove these marks before and re-apply the coating. Were the panels warm at all?

For me here I imagine it can be the humid/warm climate combo so leaving for 3 - 5 min. on hot days is too long and very hard to level it clear.

Something else I can imagine is that if dealership uses a silicone based filling prep wax it could mess up the job as silicone is quite hard to remove.

I've applied Opti-Guard to more than 40 vehicles (hopefully many more to come) and came across that problem quite a few times. Had to machine polish panels to remove these marks before and re-apply the coating. Were the panels warm at all?

For me here I imagine it can be the humid/warm climate combo so leaving for 3 - 5 min. on hot days is too long and very hard to level it clear.

Something else I can imagine is that if dealership uses a silicone based filling prep wax it could mess up the job as silicone is quite hard to remove.

The vehicle was in the garage the whole weekend. So whatever the ambient temp. was I would suspect the panels to be the same. What would you have used to remove M205? As you can see I just used an IPA wipedown.

Correcting my post, I wrongly said "quite a few times" but I mean A FEW TIMES. Maybe around 20% of the cars I worked on had high spots when checked under day/sun light. Some were knocked down with wax and grease remover or IPA solution, others had to be polished.

I reckon you left it drying for too long and didn't level it enough.

I spent quite a long time early this morning perfecting the finish. I have some New Car Prep which is a commercial solvent and I wiped down the trunk lid twice. Now what I've noticed after applying OC is now the whole trunk has a haze to it. It wipes away just as any fogging does, but it comes back. I am hoping this is just temporary and will eventually settle down and not fog up any more

Archived