Rock Chip protection

68carboy

I have a BRZ that I would like to put OPTI Coat on. I have been very impressed with what I have read about OPTI Coat in my research. I have read that it gives protection against scratches.

Could somebody tell me if it would help at all preventing rock chips?

I am considering putting on a clear bra but I really don't like the looks of them. Also, if I did put a clear bra on the car I believe I read that I could put OPTI Coat on that, is that true?

Thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

From My experience, Opti-Coat 2.0 does help a little against rock chips. I had a 2011 VW Jetta TDI for 1 year, and had a fair amount of small rock chips(no paint protection). I then traded it in for a 2012 Golf TDI, and Opti-Coated it. After about 1.5 years, of driving the same routes, I had about 1/4th as many rock chips on the Golf, and the most of the rock chips I did have didn't reach bare metal.

Granted this isn't a scientific test or anything, but I think Opti-Coat "Helps" against chips.

Also, my Jetta scratched very easy, and I am careful, and hand wash my cars every week. After 1.5 years with the Golf, I had zero Scratches or Swirls. It is totally worth it!

Archived