Correcting 5 month old high spots in OC 2.0?

Slick-Rides

I had Opti-coat 2.0 applied to a really soft, black, single stage paint about 5 months ago. We were trying to add protection as well as a layer of hardness since the paint is so soft. The detailer applied it very heavy. The car looked great when I picked it up but shortly after I noticed some high spots. Actually, there are a lot of high spots that are really obvious on an overcast day.

Since it's been 5 months and the Opti-coat is fully cured, what would be my best approach to getting rid of the high spots? Will Poly-Seal still be strong enough or do I need to step up to something more aggressive? I will be using a PC. What type of pad should I use? Really hoping the whole coating doesn't have to be polished off. I'm an amateur at detailing and was hoping the Opti-coat was going to last for awhile. This is on a garage queen that only comes out for car shows and an occasional cruise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would go with a fine finishing polish to remove the high spots. OC can be a polished a couple of time with out the coating be compromised.

If the detailer installed it and left the high spots I would have taken back to him. Seeing that its been five months I don't know that he would but its certainly worth a try.

Detailer isn't a pro, just does it on the side a little. I really can't complain for what he charges. Right now I'm looking at trying Optimum GPS with a finishing pad. Sound about right? Not looking to correct any marring or swirls, just knock down the high spots. I'll obviously go over the whole car so it'll look uniform.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I am having a similar problem, only I just applied mine a few days ago. I applied it in the garage, so the lighting made it difficult to see the high spots on a couple of the curved surfaces. Do I just spray the GPS on and wipe off with a microfiber? Did it compromise the OC2.0 in any way that I would need to reapply?

I just folded up a microfiber into a thick, small square and applied a couple squirts of the GPS to the towel. Then just lightly rubbed over the high spots with it and used another towel to remove the GPS residue off the paint. I really was surprised how easy the high spots were removed with the GPS by hand. Was almost like applying wax by hand. As long as you don't go crazy with working in the GPS, I would guess the OC will be fine.

Archived