missed areas

ErickTreetops

When I had my car opticoated I asked for the wheels to be done as well. The wheel is a large 20" rim and I asked for the inside barrel of the rim to be done as well. Since the car is front wheel I get a lot of brake dust that. I was hoping that the opticoat would just let me rinse out with little effort. On three of the wheels this is what happens but on the right front it has to wiped out with a cloth by sticking my hand through the spokes.

I get the impression that this wheel may have been forgotten. Before I start accusing anyone is there a way to tell if it hasn't been applied? It is after all invisible.

Erick

• 3 weeks later...

The bonnet where the water spots showed up and where i was told to use MacGuiars bug and tar remover no longer beads. The surface has changed.

as the water no longer beads in that area but sheets off. There are only two possible explanation either Opticoat doesn't work and prevent even mild water marks and comes off with Bug and Tar remover OR the area was never treated. Very hard to prove the later as the product is invisible.

For the test I just held the water hose a few inches from the one spot on the wheel on the shower setting. On three of the wheels 90% of the dirt washes right off , but on the front Right side only about 10% is washed off

here is the front left wheel before i cleaned it. Notice the track my finger left in the dirt and brake dust.

1467354_10201909114663967_384331183_n.jp

here is the same rim after hosing off with water with nozzle set to shower

1235010_10201909118024051_844053024_n.jp

Now here is the rh front rim.

563159_10201909120064102_1457760182_n.jp

And after the same rinsing treatment here is the RH side again...Notice not much cleaner at all

988756_10201909123984200_1416985607_n.jp

Apologies about the quality of photographs they were done with a smartphone. The dirt is a lot more obvious in real life.

It appears to me if the rim has not been treated at all, but i would appreciate some other subject review.

Erick

Your best route would be to visit the person who installed your Opti-Coat, and bring this to thier attention. If they have any customer service in them they will be glad to solve this issue for you.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've revisited the storewhich applied it. Theyve agreed to redo the car. I've offered to give them the car for two full days so they won't be rushed.

I do wash the car rugularily with Macguiars cold. The whole 2 buckets and waffle dry stuff. But as the coat is invisible it's impossible to tell if any area was missed. In my case the car was 7 days old and the finish was still pristine. Only when the car got really dirty for the first time did I notice the surface properties behaved like a car that had had no treatment at all..

I'll do a repost when the retreatmemt has been completed and let you know what's changed..

Thanks for all the feedback.

Archived