Opticoat after Optiseal on wheel rims?

Faraway

Hi all, my rims got resprayed two days ago and covered with a layer of clear coat. This morning I woke up and washed the car. After washing the car and drying the rims, I applied a layer of optiseal over them...I then received my supply of opticoat 2.0 at lunch time... I was thinking if I were to apply opticoat now over the optiseal, would that work or do I have to power clean the rims numerous times before applying opticoat. To put things in context, I drive a Jaguar XF in Singapore and the humidity and temperature makes the brake dust build up really quick on the rims... Just a short drive and it's caked in black brake dust.

First of all, I wouldn't apply any kind of sealant or coating to fresh paint until it's had time to cure, at least a month. OC needs a clean, wax and sealant-free surface to properly bond and cure, so my recommendation would be to do nothing for the next month other than cleaning. After that, give them a good scrubbing with OPC or another strong but safe cleaner, then go ahead with your Opticoat.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I had consulted my spray painter who is also a good friend of mine. He uses Optiseal on his wheels as well and he assured me that because of the way he did the painting - i.e with oven baking for a day and the use of one of the best lacquers, as well as with the warm weather in Singapore, it is definitely safe for me to use Optiseal or even Opticoat on it immediately. But since I have already applied Optiseal, I shall give it a rest until the weekend where I'll be applying OptiCoat after washing the rims down with PowerClean.

You will also want to clean them with rubbing alcohol to make sure any reminents of the Opti-Seal are gone. If you have some Hyper polish on hand and have the patience to do so, a quick hand polish with Hyper Polish will further enhance the bonding of the 2.0 on your wheels.

Archived