Optimum Products and a newb...

Hello all,

Just a newb detailer here asking a few questions. Just for reference I'll be detailing a Silver STI

#1 - I've read some good things about Optimum No Rinse and for my situation (renting) it looks like a great alternative. I've already got generic micro-fiber towels 16"x16" but I was wondering if I should invest in a waffle weave towel for drying. Any thoughts? I've seen these towels on optimum's site, autogeek has a ton of different manufacturers (but seems to prefer cobra), etc.

#2 - What would be the best thing to use for washing with the ONR? I've got a meguiars microfiber mitt and the aforementioned microfiber towels.

#3 - I'm also looking at the Optimum Car Wax but I'm just curious if it will provide the level of shine / gloss / wet look that I'd like to see in my vehicle. I don't know how to describe it honestly but sleek, slick to the touch and wet looking.

#4 - If I decided to go with another form of wax, will the polymers in ONR interfere with that?

#5 - What exactly does a quick detailer (like ONR at 10:1) do? ie: what situations is it useful in? Removing bug guts on the front of the car or...? Please enlighten me.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions but being able to draw on the experience of others is always nice!

#1-yes I would suggest getting a couple large WW towels for drying.

#2-Your Meguires mitt will work fine. But I would go get 2 more of them. Fill up a 2nd bucket as a rinse only bucket to toss your mitt in after a panel. then you'll always have 1 in the ONR bucket soaking. I even add a capful of ONR to my rinse bucket to help 'encapsulate the dirt' and soften the water. ONR washes, on a dirtier car can lead to a dirty mitt and I like to use 3 per wash and rinse them often during the wash.

#3-Optimum Car Wax will suprise you. A little goes a long way. It smells fantastic and leaves a smooth, shiny finish. 2-3 squirts max per panel.

#4-None that I have ever experienced. I've used ONR on a few different cars with probably 3 different waxes.

#5-ONR makes a decent 'quick detailer' when dilluted. I make it in gallons using gallon of distilled water (.72 from Wal-mart) and I pour it in a nice Home Depot sprayer. It's great for bugs, windows, door jams, and touch ups at night when you want to get rid of the layer of dust etc...Also a good lube for claying. If you want an AWESOME quick detailer, buy the Optimum Instant Detail and Gloss enhancer which dillutes 3:1 and very cost efficient. Great between waxes and great to use while you dry during an ONR wash.

As mentioned in my #5 answer, I recommend the Optimum Instant Detail and Gloss Enhancer. You'll love this stuff. I've turned all my neighbors onto it just if i see them washing their car, I run over and hand them the squirt bottle and just say "squirt this when you're drying". they bring it back later and they're like "where can I get some of that stuff?"

Most of my answers will mirror dublifecrisis.

Hello all,

Just a newb detailer here asking a few questions. Just for reference I'll be detailing a Silver STI

#1 - I've read some good things about Optimum No Rinse and for my situation (renting) it looks like a great alternative. I've already got generic micro-fiber towels 16"x16" but I was wondering if I should invest in a waffle weave towel for drying. Any thoughts? I've seen these towels on optimum's site, autogeek has a ton of different manufacturers (but seems to prefer cobra), etc.

Yes, you will want a few drying towels. The Vroom ones sold at Target are pretty decent and priced right. Just be careful not to drop them on the grounds, everything sticks to them.

#2 - What would be the best thing to use for washing with the ONR? I've got a meguiars microfiber mitt and the aforementioned microfiber towels.

That microfiber will work fine. You probably want more than one though. If you want to save some money, some people get the grout sponges at Home Depot or the ProLine Grout Sponges at Lowes. The Lowes near me also carries Quickie's Auto-Pro line of car care products. They sell a huge microfiber wrapped sponge, I have four of them. Cost about $3.50 to 4.00. Work really nice.

#3 - I'm also looking at the Optimum Car Wax but I'm just curious if it will provide the level of shine / gloss / wet look that I'd like to see in my vehicle. I don't know how to describe it honestly but sleek, slick to the touch and wet looking.

You could try Optimum Car Wax on top of Opti-Seal. Opti-Seal will give the shine and gloss you want and Optimum Car Wax will give the depth and wet look you want.

#4 - If I decided to go with another form of wax, will the polymers in ONR interfere with that?

Numerous people on these board use ONR and I have never heard about ONR interferring with a wax or sealant.

#5 - What exactly does a quick detailer (like ONR at 10:1) do? ie: what situations is it useful in? Removing bug guts on the front of the car or...? Please enlighten me.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more questions but being able to draw on the experience of others is always nice!

Quick detailers generally achieve two results, light cleaning and spruce up the paint's gloss. Some QD's are better at one function than another. For example, ONR is one of the best cleaning QD's you can use. Used at about 1:16-20, ONR will do a great job cleaning light dust off your paint, fingerprints, bird dumps, bug guts, it can be used to wipe down your dash, etc.. ONR QD is so-so at sprucing up your paint's gloss. For that, go with Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.

ONR QD is so-so at sprucing up your paint's gloss. For that, go with Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.

Brent - You mention OCW over OOS which is what I'd like to try. MY question is will OID work well over the OCW without diminishing it's qualities?

Archived